Saturday, April 07, 2007

First Fridays Knit-Night

There has been a wee bit of progress on several knitting fronts (and backs, he, he, he...)

I had some girls out for a Friday Knit Night last night, and though there were a couple of last minute cancellations, there was still fun to be had with a few good gals.

We had one newbie knitter, Renee, who was not quite comfortable with my usual double cast-on--thumb method, so she got a lesson from my sister, Sylvia, in the basic double cast-on, which for some inexplicable reason I have never taken the time to master... I've gotten by just fine with my thumb method, why change what isn't broken? Why? Because I have a strange inner need to know how to do just about anything... so I will be practicing the basic, standard double cast-on when I get going on my next project- soon and very soon.
(Both methods can be found on page 4 of Vogue Knitting Quick Reference, my favorite handy-sized, keep-in-the-knitting-bag book)

Suffering a momentary freaky-flashback, my old friend Traci wonders what it would be like to have a head full of Camouflage Blue Sky Bulky dreadlocks... personally, I think she would look much better with Peace Pink dreadlocks, now there I go with the funky flashbacks...

She did come back to 2007 and get to some knitting after some stash oggling and petting, and some design ideas discussing... she's a pretty new knitter and has already caught design fever- you go girl! Get swatching!

Here's another shot of my Mommy Multi-tasking...
not nursing this time, but bouncing a baby on the knee while trying to work through a charted lace panel is not for the faint at heart...
My sister (below) looks uncertain as to wether knitting while baby bouncing is something she wants to master someday...
See the family resemblance?
I had more pictures ready, but I can't seem to make this template thing do what I want it to...
In other news:
-I've completed the back for my very brightly striped Baby Hoodie and am onto the front.
-My Pea Pod body is half-way done...
-I spent a bit of time this morning designing some sock-like booties to go with the Pea Pod set- I'll post my directions for
those when I get them done!
Now I've got some little sleeves to set as I work on conquering my aversion to actual project completion...
Happy knitting,
ali

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy O'Neill Houck said...

Yeah! I used to knit with my peanut in a sling when he was that young--now at 2--he pretty much ignores the yarn because it's such a common thing around the house. S. does look a bit concerned that you're going to stab the wee one. I trust you. :-)

4/07/2007 9:26 PM  
Blogger clothesknit said...

Look at that baby hammin' it up for the camera! Too cute! And I too remember all too well knitting with a babe in my lap...usually they'd fall asleep nursing and lay across my lap on the Boppy so I could sneak in a few rows.

4/07/2007 9:58 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Wow, you do not know how gratified I am to hear that an accomplished knitter such as yourself does the thumb cast-on. I love the thumb cast-on and was severely chastised by my local LYS owner for using the 'kindergarten cast-on'. I've moved on to the cable cast-on, but I still love it...

Love your new banner, btw.

4/08/2007 4:29 PM  
Blogger Lisa Carney said...

Hi Ali,
Thanks for your comment on my blog! I'm curious about how you found me, of course. Your work is great--I look forward to checking your blog in more detail!
Lisa

4/08/2007 6:56 PM  
Blogger tracilovesasa said...

AAHHHH!
i can't believe you immortalized me that way! i do agree about peace pink being a better color though...

fun times indeed, i'm sketching that design idea tonight and finishing the scarf, and the front of the hoodie, and starting the back and....
:)

;)

:)

4/09/2007 4:46 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

What an adorable, happy, bouncing baby! I look forward to your bootie instructions. I thought about making booties to go with the two Pea Pods I've already made, but just kind of pooped out on figuring them out.

4/10/2007 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails