Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Kindergarten Cast-on...

Oh boy, oh boy... the traditional double cast-on is the one in my book that "is frequently recommended for beginners" with no such "beginners" notation next to my old favorite thumb method. So there ya go... I know there are a variety of cast-on methods and some have very specific purposes (some are firmer, others are stretchier...) but I also know that I have seldom had a need for a special cast-on method and I have gotten by just fine using my trusty favorite on an ever-widening variety of knitted items.
That being said, I did sit down and master the traditional double cast-on. And yes, I can also do the knitting-on method and the cable cast-on method, I just seldom have a need to use them... but I am branching out and experimenting with so many different things these days- gauges (trying out a fine yarn on a big needle for a very loose gauge), colorwork, stitch variations, bind offs, and yes, even cast-on methods... it's all good. Getting to know the needles and the fibers on a deeper level (knitting philosophy?) is an amazing journey- at least it is for me!
I neglected to get a sneak peak picture of the baby sweater I just finished- but yay! Another finished object! I had a small victory in project completion and got those sleeves set in and all the loose ends woven in, and got it handed off to Blue Sky- the photo shoot is in less than 3 weeks!
That gives me less than 3 weeks to finish the other design I'm working on- a hat and mittens set that rolled around in my head a little too long waiting to actually get on the needles. Where does the time go? Life is speeding up... or is it just me?
(subtle subject change...)
Like where did the last 10 years go? That's right, I said TEN years... that's how long I've been married... today is the last day of the 10th year... tomorrow marks the 1st day of the next 10 years... Wow! How did that happen?
Well, my anniversary is tomorrow and I think we'll be heading down to the beautiful Conservatory that we were married in and take some "10 years later" pictures- provided this silly winter storm we're having (in SPRING) will leave us alone...
Thank You, Lord, for 10 wonderful years. I'm looking forward to see what You have for us in the next 10... and the next 10... and the next... ali

Happy knitting,
ali

3 Comments:

Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Hey congratulatons, 10 years is very impressive and a real reason to celebrate.

It is so liberating for me to hear you point out that you've never needed another cast-on method besides the trustly ol' thumb method. I mean, isn't using out thumbs as a tool as sign of higher intelligence?!

4/11/2007 8:45 PM  
Blogger tracilovesasa said...

i just copied a whole bunch of different stitches to make swatches with. here goes!

and of course...

!!!!!!!!!HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!

i wanna see those pics when you get back too, so have fun!
:)

4/11/2007 9:24 PM  
Blogger Prof. Knitwit said...

I didn't realize that you're a designer for Blue Sky - i'm very impressed....and I'm also impressed by your anniversary. Wow! 10 years! Congrats.

4/12/2007 8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails