Thursday, April 12, 2007

Baby Sweater Sneak Peaks

My sister that rocks was kind enough to snap a couple of pics and send them my way so I could post a sneak peak of the new baby sweater.


It's done in their new Handspun Organic Cotton-
"Blue Sky Alpacas Handspun Organic Cotton, the perfect addition to our expanding line of feel good yarn. Grown from 100% organic cotton, there are no pesticides, herbicides, agro-chemicals or dyes used in the growing, harvesting or production of the fiber. The yarn is hand spun on drop spindles by a women’s cooperative in Arequipa, Peru. Knitters will love the rich feel of the yarn. They’ll also feel good, knowing that the yarn production is helping preserve a centuries-old tradition of eco-friendly cotton cultivation in Peru and improve the lives of the poverty-stricken women who live there. Working with a local charity, Blue Sky Alpacas employs women to spin Hand Spun Organic Cotton, providing them with a living wage that helps them care for their families and send their children to school." (taken from their website, underlining mine)

The yarn has this great, ever so slightly uneven texture which makes the knitted fabric just feel so 'natural'. I think it feels better knit up than in the skein- in the skein it felt a little stiff (but I am seriously spoiled by their regular cotton- the softest cotton out there!) but it really feels nice all knit up. And yes, it does feel good thinking of the women who spun that yarn by hand on drop spindles a world away...

And those vintage buttons add just the right touch to this little cutie, in my opinion :-)

Back to my hat and mittens-
Happy knitting,
ali

6 Comments:

Blogger Prof. Knitwit said...

Wow! I love it. It's gorgeous and the buttons are perfect

4/12/2007 3:08 PM  
Blogger YarnThing said...

Oh, I can't wait to see the rest of it!

Love your designs on the sidebar btw!

Marly
knitthing.blogspot.com
knitthing.mypodcast.com

4/12/2007 3:22 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Lovin' the sneak peek. It sure looks cute. Those buttons are just adorable, too!

4/12/2007 3:52 PM  
Blogger randi K design said...

The baby sweater looks cute... I look forward to see your green and blue one!

4/12/2007 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that your browsers weren't behaving for you over at HSB. I wanted to let you know that I am giving you the thinking blogger award for your HSB blog. I have more info about it on my blog.

your knitting always impresses me! I am working on my first pair of short row socks. There are some holes, but they look good for my first try.

Ali

4/12/2007 6:30 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

That yarn looks so nubbly-lovely-perfectly-soft, and in a simple and lovely stockinette sweater. I can't wait to see the whole thing.

4/13/2007 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails