Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Scarves, Legwarmers, & Monogamy


What to knit? What to knit?

If I were a monogamous knitter I might not have this problem. Of course, I might not have this much fun either. You know- the fun of forever casting on yet another project, the completion date of which you don't dare to predict? I know you know the fun I'm talking about (ehem, Heather, I'm looking at you) that is, unless you're one of those rare monogamous knitters. At least, I think they're rare. I don't know any, well, I don't think I do.

I worked my tail off getting many of my ducks in a row before soccer practice last night, so I found myself preparing my bag a bit early, with 2 almost done projects looking up at me, calling my knitting name, I was torn. Then I looked at the clock- I was ready to roll with over an hour of 'spare time' (you know there really is no such thing in my life, but I like to pretend I have nothing else to do sometimes) and so I did the only logical thing, this is the way logic works in my head, I parked myself on the couch while the kids watched an episode of MythBusters* (commercial-free, we like our Netflix instant watch! I'm sure that counted for science, well, that, and following up on the Google Doodle, that one counted for science AND history) while I knit away on a legwarmer, thereby leaving soccer practice knitting time for my scarf. Brilliant! (humor me)

The legwarmer almost flew off the needles (it helped majorly that Baby J was napping while I was couch sitting knitting), but the scarf had to battle for my attention against a hungry baby and a toddler trying to climb up the slides and across the wobbly hanging bridges of the jungle gym that hosts my children during soccer practice. A few inches of progress were made, and that will have to do until Thursday night's practice, and then maybe there'll be a finishing job over the weekend. I said maybe.


So, are YOU a monogamous knitter? No? How many projects do you have going? That many? Okay, but how many of them are you actually working on this week?

Happy knitting-
ali

*we learned why it is that your voice sounds like a funny little cartoon after you inhale helium, very interesting! I say your voice because I would never do something like that...

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Amanda said...

Oh my gosh you are talented!!!! I love looking at your work!

Blessings-
Amanda

8/26/2009 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Rachel Resler said...

Monogamy??? Only in marriage!
I have two projects on needles and supplies and patterns sitting around for about 10 more projects that tempt me to cast on everytime I see them. Also, could pattern collecting lead to infidelty?? I suppose my stash is small compared to some, but the potential is there!

I love keeping up with you via your blog. Blessings!!

8/27/2009 8:54 AM  
Blogger At Home Mommy Knits said...

I go through spurts. Lots of things on the needles until I feel crazy and all over the place and then a methodical 'finish this stuff up now' period. Then it seems the cycle repeats. Mythbusters totally counts as science :)

8/27/2009 10:11 AM  
Blogger Larissa said...

the legwarmers are adorable - so glad you found some quiet time to knit! I try to be monogamous in knitting if only because having lots of unfinished projects drives me nuts - but i did take the time to knit a swatch for the next sweater last night. i love all the photos of your beautiful kiddos!

8/27/2009 3:08 PM  
Blogger The Wooly Wumpus said...

My late Aunt Linda was a monogamoous knitter - and it used to drive me crazy! She wouldn't even buy yarn until she finished a project. Can you imagine?? NO STASH?!

Loved reading your blog and so glad I stopped by. 7 kids? Seven? SEVEN? I am truly in awe...

8/27/2009 5:44 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

i try to imagine you with your seven children knitting.... and i love the picture i get in my brain. :)

i am mostly a monogamous knitter. yep. it makes me crazy to think which project would get my attention.... i may have a little hat.... or a sock on the needles alongside a sweater. but usually only ONE big project on the needles. otherwise i lose sleep. SERIOUSLY!

8/28/2009 7:46 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I always have more than one project going at a time. I am not a monogamous knitter, crocheter or sewer. I wish I could stay on task but there are too many wonderful things to try.

Loved this post.

Ruth

8/28/2009 1:20 PM  
Blogger Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Not a monogamous knitter in any way - I can barely stay monogamous with my spinning (and probably wouldn't, if I had more bobbins). I've got about 7 projects in various stage of completion right now: Gryffindor stripe socks, bulky weight watch cap for Finny, a vest for me, soccer socks for Noah, and just cast on for a hoody vest for Finny's birthday, a "summer" sweater for me that I probably won't finish until well after summer ends. That's all that comes to mind right now - but I know there's more!

You're right though - straying from one project to another is so much fun! (the thrill of casting on a new project, the joy of selecting a new yarn, ahhhh)

8/29/2009 1:55 PM  
Blogger A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

I always have several WIP's (works in progress) going at ony one time. Not usually more that one knitting project though - I tend to lean more towards textile crafts.

8/29/2009 11:44 PM  
Blogger Knittymama said...

I've been strangely monogamous lately. Can't stand to not have something finished, although I still have 3-4 things going at once.

8/30/2009 10:00 AM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

I'm mostly monogamous with my knitting. I guess a little bit of polygamy keeps it from being monogamous doesn't it? Anyways, I'm with Leslie...one major project and a small project here and there. Have a great week!

8/31/2009 11:50 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Monogamy in knitting = no fun in my book! I always have a couple of things OTN - something easy to pick up and put down for when the kids are around, and something more complicated for when I have "quiet time". Plus, whatever else happens along... :o)

8/31/2009 11:55 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

I have tried to be a monogomous knitter, and once in a while I can even manage to only have one project on my needles -- but I've then got a quilt or 2 and a few other home projects on the go at the same time -- so does it count as monogomous?... maybe not. lol

Oh, I so know what you're talking about - being 1/2 an hour early for something is like holiday time.

Happy knitting to you to!

9/01/2009 7:08 AM  
Blogger Melissa Stover said...

we do not eat bugs. i had to clarify that for you!

9/01/2009 11:33 PM  
Blogger Kristyn Knits said...

I love how you had "nothing else to do" :) and chose to bless yourself with a little knitting time!

I'm a monogamous knitter. Too many projects leads to too much stress for me!

9/02/2009 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails