Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It Has Begun


Soccer season has set in. 2 hrs (+ drive time) on practice days, longer on game days, every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and occasional Saturdays, from now until the end of October. The weeks of menus have been planned, many groceries bought, crock pots dusted off, all that remains now is the running, and the soccer knitting, also known as keeping my hands busy while paying rapt attention to my teen on the field, always keeping my eye on both him and the ball, and never missing the perfect shot with the camera, er, yeah, that's it. It's kinda hard to hold the camera and hang on to the needles so I hafta become sort of a quick-change artist; it helps me stay limber.

Currently on the needles is this simple scarf using 2 colors of Blue Sky Alpacas' Alpaca Silk (I'm using Amethyst & Plum- yummy!) I'm calling it 'Just Beyond the Garter Ridge', and that pretty much sums up the stitch pattern. As of today, I'm at 42", and I have a lot of yarn left. I probably could've cast on a few more stitches and gone wider, but I kinda like the idea of a dainty little & long scarf that I can wrap around a couple times, or perhaps wear really loose and drapey. We'll see what mood I'm in when I get done! 2 more practices this week, that should give me several more inches...

Towards the end of last night's soccer practice there was a nice little damp chill in the air, the kind of slight damp chill that reminds me of late summers gone by, back-to-school almost fall days setting in, and the sweater wearing weather that accompanies it. The sweater knitter in me was stirred and I decided it's about time to cast on another full size project.

I also decided that it's about time to get some pictures of my Drops Jacket that I love so much but totally neglected to photograph finished. Must remedy that situation as soon as this cold rain passes on.
I've got my teenager working on his first thesis statement of the year. Topic- why every boy needs a dog. We're starting off nice & easy with this one. It's supposed to be an argumentative paper, maybe he can convince his dad that it's time for a new dog... and maybe we can get a yippy little house dog and then I can start knitting cheesy little sweaters for him or her to wear, or, maybe not, I'm not ready for the cheesy little sweaters, no offence meant to those of you with cute little dogs in cute little doggie sweaters, but I'll stick to cute little baby sweaters, for now...
Happy knitting-
ali

3 Comments:

Blogger From All Stitched Up said...

I love the scarf and the colors. I too am looking for a good fall knitting project. I usually get swept away finishing things for customers. This year I want one thing for myself.

8/19/2009 6:15 PM  
Blogger Kristyn Knits said...

Your knitting sounds like a pefect activity to do while watching soccer (especially practice). :)
My February Lady Sweater is calling me. must touch that this weekend. happy knitting!

8/20/2009 7:36 PM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

soccer knitting....sounds perfect. I like the name of your scarf...too fun!

8/22/2009 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails