Saturday, April 21, 2007

Fair Isle Frenzy

Well, since procrastination is my middle name, it seems oddly fitting that I would do it again... wait too long to get going on a project, over-estimate my knitting speed, and under-estimate the number of distractions and periods of non-kitting down time that inevitably creep in between project beginnings and the lurking, looming, deadline.

The fair isle hat took me a measily 3 days, so I was not worried about having 3 weeks to crank out some mittens. Well, I'm down to 8 knitting days left, and I'm roughly 80% done with mitten #1. Talk about tedious... salt & pepper palms with patterned top-of-hands to match the hat... so much stranding... so much tangling... There is an art to stranding with minimal tangling, and I'm getting better at it, but like any art, excellence takes a serious amount of practice!

Here's a peek at yesterday's progress-

My poor Pea Pod has been sitting neglected, one sleeve set-in, the other waiting... and I still need to go on a button hunt (I can feel the need for a growing button stash intensifying...)
My seriously striped socks have gained a few more stripes and are patiently awaiting a larger share of my knitting time...
And the brightly striped baby hoodie is temporarily on hold, it can wait a couple of weeks as I'm making the 12 month size.
I'm off to start shaping the tip of the hand on mitten #1, I'll feel better about it all if I can get mitten #2 cast-on by night's end.
It's a rainy weekend here (at least it's not still snowing!) and that usually means some old cowboy or war movies, maybe a documentary or two- just mellow time around here (you do realize that's all relative, my mellow- with 6 kids- is another mom's circus!) which should mean a few knitting blocks of time- I'd better get scooting, and off the computer, our power just surged... I guess this rain could get to be more than rain... (thunder rumbling in background...)
Happy knitting,
ali

5 Comments:

Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

The mittens are really cool looking, my Anemoi are the exact same color and progressing at about the exact same rate...;)

4/21/2007 5:12 PM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

LOVE the salt and pepper. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Keep up the excellent work.

4/23/2007 8:30 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

You can do it! Hopefully, the second mitten will go faster. It looks really beautiful. When you strand, do you hold one color in each hand or do you pick up and drop as necessary? Hang in there!

4/25/2007 11:42 AM  
Blogger tracilovesasa said...

those mitts turned out so fab! can't wait for the pattern!

:)

5/11/2007 2:53 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

Hey! I'm making a sample of this pattern for your sister- if you have any tips for the mitten, I would love to hear them!

6/18/2007 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails