Thursday, October 22, 2009

Apple Oatmeal Bars

This is what happens when there's good chocolate in Mom's Bag, which is left on the floor, where The Baby is loose. Just in case any of you were wondering...


We're still going through the apples- yummo! I thought I'd share a family favorite recipe, not quite as fast as the Freestyle Apple Tart, but it also doesn't require having a premade pie crust waiting for you in the fridge. These Apple Oatmeal Bars (which bear a striking resemblance to apple crsip, is there a differenc? I dunno, you decide) are so easy to put together that it's really quite to my shame that I don't make this much more often.
I got the recipe from my little sister. She's a grown woman, married and expecting baby #2, but I can still call her little, because, well, she's younger than me, she's much shorter than me, and she married a man with the last name Little. She'll never not be my little sister. I dunno where she got the recipe- I'll have to ask.

Apple Oatmeal Bars

2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. brown sugar
2 c. oatmeal
1 c. shortening*
9 (about) medium apples, sliced
1 c. white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon (I may use much more than that, what can I say? I love cinnamon)
4 Tbsp. butter

Mix flour, salt, soda, brown sugar, and oatmeal; cut in shortening* unti mixture is crumbly. Spread half of mixture into greased 9" x 9" baking dish (a deep dish pie plate works well too). Press down firmly. Cover with apple slices. Mix white sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over apples. Dot with butter. Cover with remaining crumb mixture and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes (you know, when it looks, smells, and feels done!)
*You can substitute 2/3 c. butter for shortening in crust (that's what I do! Mmm, butter!).

If I could take a good food picture I would, I truly would, but the last time I posted a picture of some apple crisp my dad thought it looked like something the cat had thrown up. Yep, my dad is fun that way (and funny, gave us girls some thick skin, okay, mine wears thin now and then, and wry senses of humor), and, well, even though I disagreed, the very thought that somebody, you know, 'out there' might think my apple crisps all end up looking like cat puke, well, yuck. We have cats, but I think I kinda like them a little bit less each time they puke. As long as they catch some mice...

Now that I've mentioned both mice and cat puke in a recipe post, I shall try to distract you from my utter loss of any good sense, with the news that my Wee One is now, officially, One Entire Year Old. And he walks. And he's a biblioclast*.
*Greek root for this week- biblos

And I'm in the home stretch on my Top Down Vine Lace Cardigan- Yay! I'll be wearing it in no time, or at least by this time next year.

What are you knitting this week? Any objects in the home stretch?

How about baking? Anyone else bit with the baking bug (apples or no apples) since the cooler weather moved in? Maybe next post I'll share my other little sister's recipe for my favorite Pumpkin Bars...

Until then,
Happy knitting-
ali

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

No baking bug, but the knitting bug really kicks in this time of year. Currently I have too many pair of clogs going, finished 2 hats and the 3rd is on it's way, felted all of them. Still need to do the last stinking tiers of a Lady Eleanor that has been hanging around for a year now! Just. Get. It. Done!

Happy Birthday to the darling!! Oh to remember those days 14 and 11 years ago.

10/22/2009 9:24 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Ooh, thanks for sharing this—I'm off to preheat the oven. This post had me really laughing—too funy about the cats and soo familiar. Thanks for the smile! Alison

10/23/2009 8:11 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

No baking here either...unless pizzas count. But UFO's on the needles are piling up. I am contemplating on buying ANOTHER set of size 3's because I have 3 sets already in use...cast on bug is more like it. Must resist...must not cast on another project destined to be a UFO. Maybe apple crisp is the answer.

10/23/2009 1:01 PM  
Anonymous kim said...

Look at that chocolately face! So cute. We have pictures of my sister from the 70's like this. Yummy!

10/24/2009 7:22 AM  
Anonymous Amanda said...

I seriously want to pick up your baby and hug him!!! Too cute!

Great recipe too!

Blessings-
Amanda

10/24/2009 5:51 PM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

I'm considering getting off my lazy rear and heading into the kitchen to make some cat-puke crisp. Mmmmmm. :)

10/25/2009 4:15 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for the recipe, looks yummy! And I'd have to respectfully disagree with your dad...that picture looks just like apple crisp to me! I have the same problem and can't take decent food pictures to save my life. So I don't bother most days!

And wow...there is some serious enjoyment of chocolate there!

10/25/2009 9:07 PM  
Blogger Journeying Five said...

he is absolutely adorable eating his chocolate in a nice matching outfit! what a keeper!

10/27/2009 2:57 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

hee hee, biblioclast...that pic makes me cringe!

By the looks of it I'm guessing he didn't share. At least you're training his palette early for a true appreciation of the finer things in life!
:D

10/27/2009 4:26 PM  
Blogger Tonya Gunn said...

I enjoy your writing! We have a 21 month old chocolate lover in our family.
Your apple recipe does sound like my apple crisp version - but equally delicious.

I have some slippers on the needles from Mary Janes magazine and some more gnomes.
Warm wishes.

10/28/2009 6:04 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I need some days without appointments so I can do some baking. This month has been so full of appointments my head is spinning. Your little one is precious. Love the bibiloclast~lol.

I don't think your apple crisp looked like something the cat brought up.

This apple tart looks so yummy. Will have to give it a try.

Ruth

10/28/2009 3:37 PM  
Blogger Brandie said...

I think I will be baking those bars. yummy! I love to bake cookies and bread this time of year. The warmth and smell are my fav!

10/28/2009 4:04 PM  
Blogger Trina said...

Baking more -- yes. Not as much as I'd like. We never got to the orchards this year and I am SOOOOO disappointed. If we didn't have a commitment, it was pouring. UGH. I wanted to take the boys apple picking so much.

We've been baking a lot of scones. I have also been knitting a lot more.

Our baby loves chocolate too. So does his mommy. And his brother. And his father!!! LOL.

10/28/2009 6:58 PM  
Blogger Kristyn Knits said...

a little chocolate never hurt my babies...
I continue to knit on my February Lady sweater. my goal of a Thanksgiving Day finish is approaching quickly!

10/29/2009 1:13 AM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

your little bibliocast sure is a cutie...thankfully they outgrow that phase. I've not done much baking lately, but I'm working on my mystery socks. fun so far, but ready to be done. have a great weekend Alison!

10/30/2009 6:57 AM  
Anonymous larissa said...

those are the cutest photos of your little guy! and i'm totally laughing about our dad's comment because i make the yummiest cream of broccoli soup (recipe is on my blog) but it photographs terribly - think green slop. have a fabulous weekend!

10/31/2009 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails