Tuesday, October 20, 2009

FO: Lacy Baktus

I loved having this simple knit on the needles. It made for perfect soccer knitting, hospital sitting knitting, and even some good car ride home knitting. The downhill side is always interesting on a knit like this- interesting to see whether it picks up steam or putters out (okay, it's really me that does the puttering out at times, not the knitting).

There I was, picking up steam and all, when I realized something wasn't quite right. My sides weren't lining up the same when I would fold it in 'half' at the point to see how much further I had to knit. Somewhere along the way my gauge had grown- both my stitch and my row gauge. I think I've always been a pretty consistent knitter, so, though I have heard of gauge changing quite a bit over the course of a project, I had never actually experienced the phenomenon myself- and certainly not on a project that only took a couple weeks, and is only one piece. It's not terrible, but it is definitely enough for me to notice, and for everyone that I point it out to to notice, hehe; enough that I would never give this slightly wonky scarf away as a gift...

I must make it clear- it's not the pattern's fault, the wonkiness is all about my gauge, and the only way I can figure it (because my overly analytical mind needs to figure it) is that with all the hospital hubbub, maybe me being so tired caused my gauge to loosen up...?

It boggles my mind, but, it is, after all, only a scarf, or tiny shawl, (or scar-awl/scrawl), and not destined to be a gift, so a little lopsidedness is not really any big deal, though it does grate against my perfectionist sensibilities the wrong way just a wee-little-bit. Oh, well. C'est la vie. I'm a big girl, I can handle it. Or I can just let me 2 yr old wear it, as she pretty much believes I knit it for her...

I loved it, and think I may cast on a stripey version sometime soon...

Happy knitting-
ali

*oh, and next year, anyone who lives near enough will be able to buy some homegrown watermelon at the lil' farmers' market my kids will need to set up to deal with our excess produce. Unless, of course, all the green thumbs turn brown...

8 Comments:

Blogger At Home Mommy Knits said...

Wonky or not it still looks lovely from here!

10/21/2009 7:32 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I haven't yet experienced a shift in gauge mid-project but I'm sure it will one day attack from behind! I hear you on the perfectionist attitude, but it certainly looks fabulous in your pictures...and your little girl seems to give it 2 thumbs up!

10/21/2009 10:29 AM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

I think it looks great...can't tell at all that your gauge went south. I love that bright color, it's a pop against your dark coat. You should wear it...when your daughter is not, of course.

10/21/2009 11:10 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

It looks good. I don't see the wonkiness. I love it! I think we can be too hard on ourselves when we make things.

Ruth

10/21/2009 3:41 PM  
Blogger Kristyn Knits said...

love your color choice ali!
I'm sure you'll get a lot of wear out of it!

10/21/2009 8:26 PM  
Anonymous kim said...

I have always wanted to make this pattern but never seem to get around to it. I love this bright, crisp color, and your model is too adorable!

10/24/2009 7:21 AM  
Blogger Trina said...

Very pretty!

10/28/2009 6:55 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Awesome scrawl, Ali!! The color is 100% win.

10/30/2009 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails