Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lacy baktus, Making Progress


As I poured over inspiring photos of the many Lacy Baktusses (I totally made that up, how do you make Baktus plural?!), I couldn't help but be impressed with the ones started and finished in a day or two. I may knit rather fast, but I knew I wasn't going to be wearing this in 48 hrs. This isn't worsted weight, if you know what I mean.
After a week of mostly soccer time knitting, I came to the end of my 1st skein of Mystery Yarn (I still have no idea what it is, but I refuse to let that detract from my Lacy Baktus enjoyment) with 70 sts on the needle and decided that was going to be just about perfect. I've joined my 2nd skein and am now on the decreasing half, which is totally wonderful, as my attention deficit riddled hands are itching to work on a number of other projects- soccer knitting or no soccer knitting.

Sleep has eluded me for the past few days, other than a couple frequently-interrupted-by-tossing-and-turning hours towards morning... anyway, determined to get off to a decent start this week, despite what sleep deprivation can do to a person (I've seen it, you know, in the mirror, it isn't pretty) on Monday morning, I gathered up the phonics and reading books, and a tablecloth, and headed to the picnic table out back.

They loved it, of course, and decided we should always do school at the picnic table. Sure, well, maybe not, this is Minnesota, you know, but I'll see what I can do...

I've been reading a lot about vitamin D, and its potential to prevent, or at least help fight the flu, and, well, 101 other things... Kids need fresh air, we have a backyard, and a picnic table, so there ya go- outdoor learning it will be until our state turns into the frozen tundra we all know it to be for too much of the year.

One more blessing that comes with our homeschooling adventure- instead of being cooped up in a stuffy old building surrounded by dozens of other children and all of their germs, my children can run and play and learn in the big outdoors, a blessing, I endeavor to NOT take for granted!

*Okay, in the time since I started writing this post yesterday, asthma has reared its ugly head again. 6 yr old Miss G is back on steroids as her O2 level does not want to stay above 92% despite frequent albuterol neb treatments. We're trying to stay out of the ER with her. 4 yr old Little Miss H has added a nasty cough to her wheezing, that's no good, she, too, is getting frequent nebs, which she responds too pretty well these days, so no big guns steroids yet.

I put Miss G to bed on the couch tonight and she said to me, "Mom, I'll try to not have to go to the hospital tonight." Sweet pea. She knows how tired I am this week, and how draining it is to go through the several days in the hospital ordeal, 'but your breathing is more important than any of that right now'. Children, they can touch a heart like nothing else.

I ran to town earlier to buy a couple chickens. I roasted one for a hearty supper and the bones are now stewing, Nourishing Traditions style, for some healthy broth tomorrow. The other chicken will be a soup for Friday. I also picked up some Elder extract and Echinacea/Goldenseal tincture, some more herbal teas, and a few more heads of garlic. I am also culturing some kefir for some strawberry banana probiotic anitoxidant powerhouse smoothies. Dr. Mom is ready to give it my all, sleep or no sleep, this crew needs some Tender Loving Care.

With the new sniffly developments, a swift finish on my Lacy Baktus looks to be some more days away, and that's ok. It'll get done eventually, right?

**Sigh, 2 girls went to the ER last night (it is now thursday morning), Little Miss H (4 yrs) is now sleeping better, holding her stats up much better, but still wheezing and coughing. Miss G (6 yrs) just headed back to the ER, for the third time in about 10 hrs, for more oxygen after continuing to drop her O2 level down into the low 80s, even dipping to 70% for a few scary moments. They x-rayed at her 2nd visit and confirmed that it has already turned into pneumonia- it happens so fast with her, so she is now on antibiotics in addition to another round of steroids. Every time she falls back asleep her O2 level drops too much, her respiratory rate is too fast, along with her heart rate, and she's been retracting- those of you who've dealt with respiratory stuff know that retracting isn't good, she's needing to use auxillary muscles to expand and contract her lungs, in other words, she's working hard to breath- that is very taxing on a little body.

I'm too tired to knit, but I hope the rest of you are getting some good yarn & needle time in in my stead. This too, shall pass, I know that from experience, but it's going to be a long couple of days here in the Williams Home. Those of you that are praying people, we'd appreciate any thoughts and prayers on behalf of our little ones, especially Grace, our Miss G, as she struggles through this yet another time. Thank you so much.

Now I need a nap,
happy knitting to the rest of you-
ali

12 Comments:

Blogger At Home Mommy Knits said...

Healthy thoughts and prayers are being sent your way!

9/24/2009 9:11 AM  
Blogger At Home Mommy Knits said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9/24/2009 9:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Goodness, Ali! I'll bet you all need a nice nap! That sounds completely draining. My prayers go up for your whole family...

9/24/2009 1:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I will pray for the entire family tonight. It affects one and all when there is a crisis in the family. Do try to rest when you can and lean on those older ones to help when they can.

I too, know what lack of sleep looks like in the mirror. In my case it's very ugly!

9/24/2009 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Amy J said...

I'm a new reader to your blog, but have gone through similar breathing situations (w/ one child) and my prayers are w/ you and your family!

9/24/2009 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Theresa said...

Of course we're praying for you. Also sending chicken soup healing thoughts your way.

9/24/2009 7:17 PM  
Blogger Kristyn Knits said...

Oh Ali! how difficult it sounds right now for you. I'll be praying for you and the little ones. I haven't been able to pick up my needles either...but soon.

9/24/2009 9:46 PM  
Blogger From All Stitched Up said...

I'm sending good thoughts your way. I've got a guess on your yarn but it sounds so insignifcant compared to the breathing troubles. I'm hoping for a good nights sleep for all of you.

9/25/2009 8:05 AM  
Blogger psalm127 said...

Oh I know what you are going through. I have just recently been inductucted into this ashma thing. This past Nov DS2 had his first episode. I have thought nothing of it except I was glad it was over. Three weeks ago the smoke from the fires here hit him hard and I took him in to find he had pneumonia. 2 year olds don't like breathing treatments. I am praying for you and your family.

9/25/2009 9:36 AM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

That sounds draining and scary for you all. I have one with very mild asthma, really, but every time he gets the sniffles I worry that it'll get into his chest. Thankfully he's only been bad enough to need the nebulizer once. Praying for you all.....

9/25/2009 11:31 AM  
Blogger Journeying Five said...

i'm liking the knitting and the picnic table homeschooling...sorry for the sickness and hope it gets better soon! hang in there!

9/26/2009 12:08 AM  
Anonymous kim said...

I'm loving the color of that baktus, and I know I need to make one soon! Hoping your little ones are well soon...

9/27/2009 7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails