Wednesday, October 07, 2009

TTL Mystery Sock '09

I wasn't going to do it. There are so many things I want to knit right now (I have yarn just waiting to CO for a Vine Lace Top Down Cardigan!) and a number of designs in process, that I just wasn't going to do it, but I was actually Twitter-taunted by Heather, okay, she kindly suggested, and I was about to cave to the power of suggestion. Leslie's teaser prodded me on a bit as well. Other knitters are such enablers...
And then I saw these, and suddenly I felt an almost irresistible urge to dive into my sock yarn stash, which really isn't very big, and free up some needles- yep, I put some old, languishing socks on holders for this. I say almost irresistible, because truly, I'm sure I could have resisted, if I really needed to, but honestly, I didn't try all that hard. *Mischievous grin*
I found some appropriately fall colored Trekking XXL (color 145, a subtly-variegated lovely orange) that I bought in an excited frenzy when I simply needed more sock yarn after learning to knit socks on 2 circular needles, which is still my favorite method, possibly only because I have not yet taken the time to try the incredibly popular magic loop method... and cast on. Can I crank out a run-on sentence, or what?
I had my 1st cuff finished in a couple hours, and pretty much had to make myself go to sleep without knitting the 2nd one, you know, until the next morning, except that there is always so much to do in my mornings, and throughout my days, that I ended up with almost 24 hrs of Second Sock Syndrome, not able to cast on until sometime the next afternoon, which enabled me to knit away during soccer practice as I sat in the van for 2 hours with 6 children, listening to books on tape (well, really CD), not wanting to let my recovering girls out to play in 50 degrees and rain. Jeepers, I can really make 1 sentence look like an entire paragraph, could be from too much Dostoevsky in my formative years, that man made paragraphs run pages, at least I give you some white space... ok, those last phrases were really sentences, I may just have a love-affair with commas, which is better than comas, and now I'm just being silly in my giddy-ness induced stupor after biting a few nails watching (online) our beloved Twins (I am a serious fair weather fan, I totally admit it) clinch the American League Central title.

Loving the Mystery Socks so far, can't wait to see the next clue! Fun, fun, fun.

-And- I'm almost ready with a light pink hat of my very own, to keep my head warm during what appears to be our rapidly approaching winter (snow is in the forecast for this weekend, sigh...) I, personally, was hoping for more fall, but, you know, I don't control that kind of stuff.

And the bench? I got the bench! The indoor rearranging is being configured, and , for now, the bench is a nice welcoming place to sit outside my front door, you know, for in case the UPS guy ever needed, oh, I dunno, a DRY place to leave a package (scratches head, have I ordered anything recently that could be delivered to my new bench? hmm...)

The sun may come out today, so I'll try to take some pics, but in the meantime, in between time, isn't the set-up, with the old doors stuck together to make walls, just the most adorable backdrop for traveling antiques & boutiques?! Just stuck in a barn, down a gravel road, across the field from our place... so sweet, I'm so glad I stopped by.

Are you ready to take on colder weather? What incredible hats are you planning to knit (quick, in a hurry! did you hear me? snow is in the forecast!) this year?

Can't wait to see what starts showing up (knitting up) on the blogosphere this season,
happy knitting-
ali

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous kim said...

You did it! I'm so glad you got the bench. And those chippy-painted doors are awesome! I'm sort of wishing I had started the mystery socks.... Oh well...

10/07/2009 2:08 PM  
Blogger sheepish one said...

i love the allure of a mystery, especially if it ends up in a pair of handknit socks!
so glad your girls are on their way to good health!

10/07/2009 5:12 PM  
Blogger Kristyn Knits said...

have fun unraveling or raveling the mystery! they look great so far!

10/08/2009 9:51 AM  
Blogger Christina Lane | The Sometimes Crafter said...

I'm so glad you stopped by my blog today, it's obviously been awhile since I was here. You're poor girls and their hospital stays. After our short stay with Brice in the PICU last year, I feel for every parent that has to go through that now. I love the start of the mystery sock. I don't think i'm quite up to that on yet. But i'm going to be working on a few hats for the winter season. :)

10/08/2009 7:33 PM  
Blogger Journeying Five said...

i am doing the mystery sock too, just haven't started this week's clue, but that is because i didn't finish last weeks (almost)!

10/09/2009 11:48 PM  
Blogger Knittymama said...

Ha, I've got a comma problem too! I also have an explanation point problem! :-)

Did you wake up to snow today? That's what pushed me over the sock knitting edge. I need warm feet.

10/10/2009 6:39 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

I'm not knitting the mystery socks this year, but a mystery hat from Chic Knits. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

10/10/2009 7:30 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I wasn't going to either...but then I found the perfect yarn and cast on!

10/11/2009 1:07 PM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

I'm in too...although I haven't actually cast on. I did get some yummy fall yarn today on a studio tour that my honey and I attended. It's those pictures that got me. I love your yarn and can't wait to see your bench in place. Have fun....gotta go catch up!

10/11/2009 3:55 PM  
Blogger t does wool said...

the benach is lovely...
and the socks will be wonderful in the end!

10/12/2009 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails