Saturday, September 26, 2009

Asthma/RSV/Pneumonia Update

Stopping home for a few minutes to grab some clean clothes, shampoo, hair brush, you know, things you don't think of grabbing when you take your sick child into the doctor...
**our local hospital was not comfortable keeping Grace, as she was requiring 100% oxygen at 10 liters and continuous nebs, they were talking possible intubation, etc... so she transferred to St. paul Children's (Minneapolis had no room!) My dear friend, Traci, who came to babysit ended up taking Hope in to the local ER the next morning, and riding in the ambulance with her when they transferred down as well... (leaving the other 4 with her teenager, as my teenager was away at a soccer mini-tournament).
They both have asthma, and they both now have pneumonia, and they both tested positive for an active RSV infection. Not fun.
Both girls are still at St. Paul Children's Hospital. Hope (4 yr old) only spent one day and night in the PICU (pediatric intensive care unit) and was doing well enough to move out onto 'the floor' today. She is still on quite a bit of oxygen, but only requiring breathing treatments every 2 hrs at this point. Grace (6 yr old) is still in the PICU, still on continuous albuterol nebs and atrovent every 6 hrs (down from 4 hrs) and quite a bit of oxygen. Her respiration rate has come down a bit, which is a sign of improvement- when we got there she was in the 50-60 (breaths per minute) range and is now in the 30-45 range (it fluctuates a lot as she moves around in bed). They had tried to turn down her O2 a tiny bit this morning, but had to bump it back up as her stats started dropping after only minutes. They have both had IV steroids and antibiotics since they got there (Grace transferred Thursday late afternoon/evening and Hope transferred down Friday late morning/noonish...) and Hope is responding quite well (she's our little trooper!) Grace is responding, just not as fast as we'd like to see...
The hospital has wireless internet access, but the filter blocks anything having to do with blogger, and twitter, but not facebook- don't ask me why, but that's where I've been updating... friend me if you'd like to stay informed, or if you'd just like to be my friend...
Gotta run,
ali

11 Comments:

Anonymous Kim said...

Oh, dear; that is not good. I hope the little ones improve soon. My thoughts are with you (I don't have Facebook...)

9/27/2009 7:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Prayers continue for your family. May you find some rest for yourself at some point.

9/27/2009 9:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good grief! Still praying for all of your crew...

9/27/2009 1:08 PM  
Blogger Kristyn Knits said...

Oh Ali! I'll be praying for the girls but also for you! I'm with Kim- want to stay updated, but I'm not on Facebook. Take good care of you, so you can take good care of them!

9/27/2009 3:47 PM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

oh Ali, I'll be praying for you and your little ones...for quick healing. I'm not a facebook friend, but I'll be checking back here to see how things are...in the meantime know you're being prayed for.

9/27/2009 4:58 PM  
Anonymous larissa said...

Ali, it's now monday night and i hope that things are looking up for both your girls. I will be praying for a quick recovery for them and for you. please try to find some rest where you can.

9/28/2009 8:38 PM  
Blogger Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Prayers for your family -

9/30/2009 10:53 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I am so sorry to hear about your little ones. I will be praying for you. May you all be back home and feeling better soon. Unfortunately, I'm not on Facebook. I hope to hear a good update soon.

Ruth

9/30/2009 6:42 PM  
Blogger Suvi said...

I so hope your girls will get better soon! I came here to read the news as I realized I've not seen you in Twitter after you wrote about going to the hospital.

10/01/2009 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Iziko said...

Its the first time Im visitting this blog but I have to come back to see how tis goes. I wish for ur little ones to get well soon and that u remember to look after ur self as well. My thoughts are with ur family all the way from Norway

10/01/2009 2:40 PM  
Blogger sheepish one said...

oh no! there is nothing so worrisome as ill children. here's hoping that both girls are fully recovered very soon.

10/01/2009 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails