Friday, October 02, 2009

Confessions of a Cold Wimp


A few weeks back, I was excited to feel that first crisp, ever so slightly damp & cool, night air move in. It was such a pleasant reprieve from the heat & humidity we were experiencing once summer finally decided to show up, here in the usually frozen tundra. That first refreshing sense of coolness had me reaching (too soon) for my wool sweaters, wool hats, and a more sensible alpaca & silk scarf, and dreaming of knitting and designing many more- or what may turn out to be 1 more, with the way my schedule has been working out lately, and that's okay...

But this- this high of 45 degrees, overcast and drizzly rain all day, the kind that just chills your very bones, well, mine sure feel chilled, especially my feet, even in my thick leather Danskos, -this is not refreshing. I'm a cold wimp, and I don't particularly care for the overcast skies, either- it's time to load up on full-spectrum bulbs. And blankets. And sweaters. And more wool socks...

It's also time for more roast chicken and more nourishing chicken bone broth. Then maybe some red chili, some white chili, and even some green chili- can you tell I love chili?! Hehe, thankfully, my children do too! Some chicken tortilla soup, stewed tomato & onion, garlicky potato, corn chowder, broccoli cheese, oh, my, how I love this time of year. I spend my summers waiting for soup season. We even host an annual soup party- (heads up local friends and family, 1st Saturday of November, mark your calendars!)

Early last week, in the couple days before life turned upside down for a while, I designed and knit a new hat for my little Mercy. It's so big and warm, knit with Blue Sky Alpacas Bulky, and as soon as I get my hands on some more of that yarn (which has to wait until I can decide on a color, ooh, that can be so hard sometimes!), I'm going to knit myself a monochromatic one, and I'm very excited about that. Could be a little too excited about that, giddy almost, which could indicate an intense love of big hats or an intense lack of sleep, possibly a little bit of both, well, maybe surely a little bit of both.

Ooh, in other news, there is this "Unique Boutique & Antiques Tour" (travelling antiques and boutiques!?! who knew?!?) happening locally right now- I stopped by a pole barn across the field from us (um, yep, we live in a pretty rural community, hehe) and oooh-ed and aaah-ed a bit today, falling in love with a chunky black bench which I think simply needs to be in my house, even though I'm really not sure where... but it's 5 1/2 ft long, very sturdy, has a nice back, and it's only $65!!, which, I'm pretty sure, is an excellent price for such a large piece of furniture. I want to go back for it, but I need to decide where to put it... seriously.

Ok, back to work,
happy knitting-
ali

**health update- the girls are still coughing quite a bit, still finishing up their steroid bursts, and will remain on albuterol nebs for several days, and controller meds for the entire winter, at least...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

It's pretty funny what the combination of stress, hospital stay, and sleep deprivation can do. Sometimes I yields some really funny project ideas... or excitement over some very ordinary things.

All my comments to my blog now come with a "noreply@blogger" address. They didn't used to... so I'm not really sure why they do now. ANYWAY! I wanted to say that yes, our situations are very different. But we do both belong to the world of having kids with special health needs. Mine, while extremely intense, will hopefully only last 3 years. Yours, which comes with bursts of intensity, will last the life of your children. Different... but... common threads. I know exactly how that family you saw felt and probably looked. It's a look I know and understand well. The good news is that while the word Leukemia comes with an overwhelming dose of fear... depending on which type it can be the most successfully treated cancer out there. First you have to make it through the long intense treatment though. Which is exhausting to say the least. There is hope, and my hope and prayer is that we are one of those families that give it!

You mentioned people 'friending' you on Facebook... but I don't know your full name. :) If you'd like my name is Jessica Peeler Jensen. :)

10/03/2009 11:31 AM  
Anonymous kim said...

This hat (and model) is too cute for words! I love the whimsical feel to it, and the pom-pom just makes it magical. GET THE BENCH! You'll find the spot later. So glad that everyone is one the mend.

10/04/2009 5:15 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oooohhhh! i do LOVE that hat.... and one for you sounds PERFECT!!!!!

love cooking/baking in the fall. it really does awaken something inside of me.

and the bench! i sure hope you got that bench! it sounds FABULOUS!.... look forward to seeing it!!!

10/04/2009 8:25 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

we're so glad to hear things are getting back to something that resembles 'normal'. the Lord answers the prayers of His saints!
we had the best soup and some stock left over for another batch (that i can hardly wait to make!). i am now a serious 'make your own soup' convert!
love the super fun hat and can't wait for the monochromatic version!
((hugs)) :D

10/05/2009 9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great hat and an adorable model. Is everyone home from the hospital? How horrible that must have been. :(

10/05/2009 11:39 AM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

That hat is too cute! I love how you did the squigglies on the top. Your daughter is the perfect model with those sweet eyes. I'm sure you can find a spot for that bench...it just sounds too good to pass up. Stay warm!

10/05/2009 6:13 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I am a cold wimp, too. I don't like to be cold but I love to cuddle up and wear sweaters, drink tea and light a fire. I love that hat.

I just bought a chicken to roast, too and I can't wait to make some wonderful broth.

Hope your girls are feeling better very soon.

Ruth

10/06/2009 6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails