Friday, October 16, 2009

Rank Watermelon Blues

Tonight's PSA: Too many watermelons kept for too long on the counter will eventually lead to one of them leaking- this is not a good thing, that is not a good smell... and the moral of the story is, when one harvests a TON of watermelon at the end of the season, one really should bless friends and family (with several melons each) or sell it at the nearest farmer's market. One's family can only eat so many watermelon in a week...

I turned to my right, and wondered what the liquid was that was dripping off my counter. Who could have spilled their drink all over the overcrowded counter? The one filled to almost overflowing (well, I guess at that point it actually was overflowing, sheesh) with an excessive number of watermelons, and the mail which was soaking in foul smelling juice. Oy.

After scrambling to clean up that, what shall we call it? um, bump in the road, this evening, things are smelling much better (orange essential oil in my kitchen cleaner!) and we are down to the last 4 good watermelons- one of which is being snacked on right now, so I guess that would make it 3...

And the knitting? (No yarn was harmed in the rotting of that watermelon.) I am currently well into my 2nd skein of a Vine Lace Top-Down Cardigan for my very self. (I really do still enjoy knitting other people's designs!) It's gotten (freezing) cold, and I'm a cardigan kind of gal. I love how quickly bulky knits knit up, and I'm completely in love with top-down construction. I'd love to have this done in a week (I cast on before bed, 10/14). I won't, but I'd love to. A busy mom can still dream.

The designing? I've been working on my transition to self-publishing, but I've been working at a snail's pace, with my family and our homeschooling adventure taking a higher rung on the priority ladder. And that's okay, it's the way it should be for me. I do have several patterns about 95% ready to go, and I'm super excited about that. I just don't know how soon I can wrap up that last 5%, and that's okay too. It will come when it comes, I'm not losing any sleep over it. There are so many other reasons to lose sleep these days...

And the baby? Oh, my, could he be any sweeter? I doubt it, and I can hardly believe he'll be a One Year Old in 5 days!?! Oh, my, he is such a joy & delight, and so very, very, big! As his birthday happens to fall on the same day of my dad's, I have just reminded myself that I only have 5 days to think of something, (or maybe conspire with my sisters, one of whom has a new blog!), to come up with something for him too...

Have a fabulous weekend!
Happy knitting-
ali

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I can relate to the watermelon story. This summer we were hosting a family dinner. We had sliced a watermelon right before putting it on the table. We commented that it seemed a little soft, but as we ate, it literally started decomposing so that it was leaking all over the table. My hubby went to move the tray so no one would eat it and watermelon juice went EVERYWHERE!

Happy almost-birthday to your baby, too. My youngest turned 1 six days ago...how does time move so quickly?

10/16/2009 9:25 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I seem to be having similar problems with tomatoes that are sitting on my counter slowly ripening. They look fine and then I smell the smell and know one of them is decomposing!

I just started the vine lace cardigan as well...soothing knit with it's large gauge! Can't wait to see yours finished (and your own designs once you find that time for that 5%)!

10/19/2009 11:37 AM  
Blogger Traci said...

oh yikes! i can just imagine the mess!
looking forward to your latest and greatest patterns!
:D

10/19/2009 2:52 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

okay... so now you have one day to come up with something... but, i bet you already came up with it.
and i can't believe a year has passed already! jeez!

i wish i lived closer.... i would be nabbing some of those watermelon! and i would hang with you and wait on the children so that you could finish that 5%!!!
i can't wait to see!!!

10/20/2009 5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails