Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Why I Won't Be Eating Indian Again Any Time Soon

Poor guy. The hives spread from his face, ears, scalp, and neck, down each arm to the fingers, and each leg to the heels and toes (these pictures don't show it at its worst...) Poor guy. At least he's not old enough to realize how itchy and uncomfortable being covered in hives is...

Our best guess is something in the curry. My youngest sister treated the family to Indian take out for lunch on Sunday. (And oh, man, it was good!) This is how baby woke up on Monday. (Not as good.)

24 hours of Benedryl in the system, and while some hives are fading, others are forming, and his poor face looks so inflamed. Poor guy.
Pediatric allergist told us to keep dosing him with the Benedryl, call back if they don't go away, and definitely call back if they get worse. We do have a couple Epi-pen Jrs, thanks to some pretty bad asthma issues, but I really don't ever want to have to use one of those. I came close to needing to with one asthma attack, scary. Anyhoo, then we're supposed to watch closely and keep a food diary, etc... when he starts solids, as he obviously has some sensitivity issues. Poor guy.
I need him to get all better and all clear, because, well, because he's my baby, but also to model this...
Fun, fun.

Oh, and this is fun, except that I'm totally lying...
"... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM CDT WEDNESDAY...

A PERIOD OF FREEZING DRIZZLE AND SLEET WILL BE POSSIBLE. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE FOR MUCH OF TONIGHT. STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE FROM 4 TO 10 INCHES BY WEDNESDAY MORNING... WITH THE 10 INCH AMOUNTS MOST LIKELY ACROSS THE INTERIOR OF CENTRAL MINNESOTA.

STRONG WINDS WILL ALSO RESULT IN BLOWING SNOW AND REDUCED VISIBILITIES. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

IN ADDITION... THE STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS AND ARCTIC AIR WILL CAUSE WIND CHILL VALUES TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY MORNING FROM 25 TO 30 BELOW ZERO ACROSS MUCH OF WEST CENTRAL AND CENTRAL MINNESOTA.

THE COMBINATION OF SNOW AND STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS WILL CAUSE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN WEST CENTRAL MINNESOTA... WHERE A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR TODAY AND TONIGHT...

The joys of March in Minnesota. Oh, well, snowed in and homebound means more time for knitting, eh? Well, it should...

Happy knitting-
ali
eta: after 48 hrs of Benedryl, the hives keep coming and his little arms and legs keep getting purple... we're starting steroids, sigh... so far no breathing issues, praise the Lord.

16 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Poor little guy. Being an allergy sufferer myself, I can say hives are so not fun! Hope he's all healed up soon.

3/10/2009 2:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh no! Sweet guy. Maybe it was MSG? My eyes turn puffy an red when I eat Indian/ Asian food with too much MSG. No fun, no matter what size you are.

3/10/2009 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor thing. I remember my son broke in hives on his entire body and we never found out why. It was very strange. At least he's young enough that he won't remember and now you can warn him when he gets older.

The vest looks very lovely. I love me some brown and blue! :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

3/10/2009 5:44 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh no! Poor baby and poor Mama. I would die without my curry. :(

I feel your March weather pain. We got 18 inches of snow yesterday. It had finally all melted and BOOM! more snow.

Spring, spring, spring...maybe if we keep chanting it it will really come :)

3/10/2009 6:00 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Big kisses to your little guy. Suffice it to say, I can't WIAT to get out of Minnesota in just a few weeks - this snow is killing me!

3/10/2009 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Poor guy! And even with all that red, all I noticed were his beautiful, blue eyes! Feel better, sweetie.

3/10/2009 8:16 PM  
Blogger Liz G. said...

Poor Kiddo - I have a Curry Allergy, too, so I feel his pain. (Mine, however, causes my throat to close up and I'm unable to breathe.)

Hope he clears up soon!

3/11/2009 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The little sweetheart looks like he's taking it well though. Hope he's better soon and that you get spring weather too!

3/11/2009 2:09 PM  
Blogger knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Oh Dear!! That is so hard when they're little and you have no idea what exactly is causing the hives. He looks like such a little trooper, playing away with his toes despite nasty itchy spots.

How's mum doing? Sometimes these things are harder on the mum's than the little un's.

3/11/2009 3:10 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Oh No! Hard to believe just how much can be passed on in breastmilk! A good reminder for me since it has been a while! He is adorable though... hives or no hives! Thanks for stopping by my blog... love your designs for BSA. I think I will have to work on the baby cardigan for Nora for this fall.
Hope you are all feeling better soon. I hear we might see some mid-forties this weekend. Heat wave!

3/11/2009 8:29 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

poor guy! it's no fun when the little ones are under the weather, and allergies are always more stressful and scary!

3/11/2009 10:54 PM  
Blogger psalm127 said...

Oh my, Poor little one. He looks happy in the pictures, though I am sure if it is itchy he probably isn't always happy. Hopefully by now it is all gone.

3/12/2009 3:39 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

Oh no, my oldest son looked just like that for years, literally from the day he was born. It took quite awhile for us to figure it all out. Good luck and hopefully it will just go away and never come back. That's what I always hope for.

Love the vest and hopefully your model will be in it with clear skin in no time.

susan

3/13/2009 5:57 AM  
Blogger raining sheep said...

Poor thing, that is awful! That is a serious case of the hives... I can't believe he looks so happy. and as for the weather I am not lying when I say we went from
-29C to +10C in two days. My head is pounding - we fondly call that the chinook headache here. Chinook winds are super warm and they create huge changes in pressure and temperature. Some people, actually many people get serious migraines from the effect.

3/13/2009 8:52 PM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

oh sweet thing. I'm hoping by now his hives are all gone. they are miserable.

3/15/2009 6:45 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

yikes! poor little guy! i hope he's better soon. i'm sure he'll look cute in his new vest!
:D

3/17/2009 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails