Friday, February 13, 2009

Is it Over Yet?


You know how the years fly by faster each year? How we (as mothers) really do wish they "would just stay little 'till their Carters wear out"? But they don't. They just keep growing faster and faster, and we wish we'd remember to journal all of their zany antics and the cute things they say, and we wish we'd remember to take more pictures, read more stories, give more kisses and hugs...

This week wasn't like that. Well, I mean I wasn't wishing it would slow down so I could stop and smell the roses, or delight in baby cheeks and toddler toes a little more each day. This week is one I'm glad to have over. Time to refuel for next week.

On Sunday morning we discovered the brake lights were out on the van, rendering it, well, not so safe.

Monday evening I discovered that one of the memory cards for my digital point and shoot bit the dust, taking any as of yet not uploaded pics with it. (Insert public service announcement- upload your photos, frequently, memory cards do die, it can happen.)

Later Monday night, 2 year old began vomiting, which lasted through Tuesday, and Wednesday, and Thursday. I came very close to bringing her into the doc's Friday morning, when she decided to start keeping down some fluids, and finally a few bites of supper.

Tuesday evening (in the middle of vomit week) the washing machine decided to run for 5 hours without draining. Odd. They're not supposed to do that. I began to have terrible thoughts of a week of vomit and no working washing machine- that is not something I'd care to deal with by hand. I just had to go to bed and pretend it wasn't happening, you know, 'cause that works so well in all the other areas of life.

Wednesday morning I squeezed out the clothes and tossed them into the dryer, which ran for about 3 hours before I noticed that the dial hadn't even budged, and the clothes were beyond dry, quite hot actually. Again, they're not supposed to do that.

I ran a towel through the washer, in an attempt to jolt it's memory, you know, into what a washing machine is supposed to do. This time it made it through a complete cycle (in well under 5 hours!) Unfortunately, it made some rather uncharacteristic noises for a washing machine, at least uncharacteristic for a properly functioning washing machine. So we can either by a new washer very soon, or pay almost as much to fix one that's almost 10 years old. There are 9 people in this family, and one of them goes through a couple outfits a day, and no, it isn't me.

Oh, yeah, and that load that didn't drain, and then dried for hours? It contained a colorful rug that had the misfortune of being, um, contaminated. I haven't had a red or pink item of clothing bleed in my laundry for years. The clothing industry has really made great strides in the colorfasteness arena. Not so, the cotton rug industry. 2 year old's favorite blanky is now an odd shade of terracotta-ness, and so are several once white washcloths, some previously white socks, and the white stripes on a pair of my teenage son's shorts. The purple fleece pajamas came through unscathed. I guess you can't dye fleece.

My 9 year old needs glasses. No time like the present to start working on this year's insurance deductible. A few hundred here, a few hundred there.

I think something's wrong with my wrist. Could be some more hacking away at that deductible coming up. Fun, fun.

There are tiny bits of play-doh everywhere I turn.

Oh, and last night, as I was sitting in my kitchen, at the conveniently located computer desk, out on the lawn there arose such a clatter, I spring from my seat to see what was the matter, I mean, there was this deep and loud barking coming from right out my back door. Odd, as we lost our dog (dead, not missing) in November. When I turned on the light, I saw 3 very large, very unfamiliar dogs. Well, the basset hound wasn't all that large, but the mastiff and the great dane, yeah, they were like lions, and they were trying to get at our cats, right out my back door. It was crazy. I called the cops, they called animal control, who called the owner, who called me... "Um, yeah, animal control just called and said that you have my dogs." It was an odd night.

I've hardly knit a stitch this week and haven't really had the time to notice. I'm just hoping and praying the stomach bug doesn't hit everyone...

...and my "Hopie" turned 4! I can hardly believe that one. She is definitely not staying little until her Carter's wear out.

Here's hoping for some knit time next week-
ali
PS- So how was your week?
eta: that friday night supper 2 year old finally kept down, didn't stay down all night... the saga continues...

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aya karumba...my week was very meek compared to yours!!!

Sorry about the washer and dryer, that's rough. Hope you don't need the washtub treatment just yet?!

As for the dogs at your door bit...we had (coincidently) 5 baying bloodhounds that decided to corner a coyote in our backyard last Sunday. It was a bit noisy around here.

Happy Birthday to HOPE!!!! YAY big girl!!!!

2/14/2009 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is one stressful week. I hope the next one eases up on you a little. Happy Birthday to your little princess!

2/14/2009 3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had two kids with the flu here this week. At least they weren't creating any more laundry than they usually do! I hope everyone is well (including the washer :-)) soon!

2/14/2009 6:39 PM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

Oh no! Poor you - what a week!

Hope next week gets better!

2/14/2009 7:21 PM  
Blogger kaetrn said...

oh gosh, i hope that this weekend is all about refueling and starting next week off right! we all have weeks like this...i just finished one myself...maybe something was in the air?

2/15/2009 8:21 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

I feel for you. Two weeks ago, when we came home from the hospital with our new little one, our washer decided to crap out on us. No flu, but a load of cloth diapers... Craigslist to the rescue and we now have a much nicer washer than before.

2/15/2009 10:37 AM  
Blogger psalm127 said...

oh yuk! I am sorry to hear about your week. Throwing up right about now,,,well does strange things to my stomach. Bummer about the washer and drier. The dogs could be funny, but not at that time I bet.
Oh and your little one's Birthday, thats wonderfull. Happy Birthday.

2/15/2009 3:51 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh you! mama told me there would be days like that!

i sure hope your precious family enjoyed their weekend. i hope that your little four year old had a sweet day and a sweeter year. i hope that washing machines and dryers are working properly. i hope tummies feel good and aches feel better.
and i hope you got to knit a row. or two.
xx

2/15/2009 8:56 PM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

oh man...tough week. hopefully there won't be any more like that for a long while...here's to hoping everyone is better and stays better. sit down and knit...you deserve it!

2/17/2009 10:25 AM  
Blogger Stephanie B said...

Oh my! Of course it will be over soon, but then something else comes on over! I hope everyone is feeling better.

2/17/2009 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your week, but I nearly lost it in giggles with the description of the rug industry. I hope everyone has recovered. Beautiful winter pic in the next post, btw.

3/09/2009 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails