Monday, January 26, 2009

Monday, Monday

It's 10:45 and I'm still trying to finish my breakfast (see apple crisp above)- it's one of those Mondays. When things get moving around here, they really get moving. The goal is to get everyone up, dressed, and eating by 8, with morning chores done between 8:30 and 9:00, followed by everyone hitting the books. There are usually enough new concepts being worked on that I'm busy moving from one kid to another almost constantly for an hour or two (or three...), interspersed with nursing the baby and training the 2 year old not to scream every time something doesn't go her way.
I am on a constant quest for organization helps and ideas. I've created my new planner page for this year and have instituted the MIT concept - loving that!
Todays MITs:
  1. Plan week's menu (it's Monday already, I know...)
  2. Write out grocery list, e-mail it to husband
  3. Spend an hour on the next step in current design project

If I can get those done, then, well, I will have managed to get 3 things done; 3 things that could easily be put off and forgotten about causing frantic freezer searching for a crummy supper (and the guilt that comes with that), continued barrenness in the kitchen cupboards (more guilt), and prolonged breathing down my neck for my overdue design (even more guilt)... Do you see the stress and anxiety I can avoid by getting my MITs done?!


I'm also hoping to dehydrate a few dozen more apples! I love dried apples to snack on. We were gifted with 3 huge boxes of apples that need to be used up quickly (thanks again theblondeknitter!) I spent much of saturday processing 16 half pints and 3 full pints of apple butter! That's probably more apple butter than one family needs... I also managed to dehydrate 3 quart bags of apples and cook up a couple quarts of applesauce (with a liberal dose of cinnamon), bake an apple crisp, and several dozen sugar cookies- they have nothing to do with apples, but I was kind of on a kitchen roll.

I've got another pot of applesauce stewing, six racks of apples drying, and am planning on trying out an apple spice cake recipe tonight. It's been way too cold, but we've had some sun most every day lately, and that's almost like spring, isn't it? Spring brings me energy, and apparently so does spring like sun on a cold winter's day. I'll take it.

The only downside to sun induced (and free produce induced) bursts of energy would be the way it cuts into my knitting time, hehe. If this keeps up, the legwarmers I'm working on won't be ready until next winter. The two February birthday hats I've got on my list? Well, I'm gonna need a couple of overcast days next week.

I've got a couple *free* patterns that I'm hoping to post by the end of the week- a simple cotton baby hat, a soft and simple scarf in the brushed suri, and a fun washcloth. Maybe if I announce it to the world, I'll be more likely to actually get around to doing it. Ya think? That's the theory I'm testing... I'm also hoping to get the Girly Wrist Warmers written up in a couple sizes, including one for Mom, and posted soon. Fun stuff.

It's now 1:30- Back to the daily grind.

  • Organizing/cleaning/decluttering Zone 5 this week.
  • Today's work- clear off piano top, clean/dust mantle, & declutter computer desks.
  • Toddler needs a nap
  • Teenager needs to do some Algebra
  • Somebody needs to vacuum
  • Some more reading should get done

And knitting, there should be some knitting.

Enjoy this day,

happy knitting-

ali

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Traci said...

YuMmY! look at all the appley goodness going on at your house! fun fun! it's neat to see how you are using them. it was such a blessing to be able to bless you with them! we'll be doing mostly the same with ours. Asa looooves apple butter.
:D

p.s.love the mitts and i'm excited about your new patterns! i'm working on a few pattern ideas myself. we'll see how it all turns out!

1/26/2009 4:06 PM  
Blogger Kristyn Knits said...

thanks for stopping by my little blog. I appreciate your comment and will be back to visit again!

1/26/2009 11:01 PM  
Blogger Kristyn Knits said...

looks like you follow flylady-zone5?

1/26/2009 11:02 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

OOO appl-ee goodness in your kitchen. I'm so jealous. I love apples too! Your family will love the fruits of your labor, I am sure!!!

Flylady rocks, when I stay on schedule that is...I've fallen off the wagon a bit and your note about it nudged me a bit that my Zone 5 is NOT looking so hot...hmmm...off to go declutter.

Happy knitting this week!!!!

1/27/2009 7:54 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh those mitts are so darn cute--which member of the brood is that modeling? Also, I must be a nut because when I saw that apple on the corer I thought it was a skein of Malabrigo 'Butter'!!!!

1/27/2009 9:48 AM  
Blogger km said...

Yum! All those apple treats!

I'm hosting a mini Mitts KAL. I'll look for the pattern and link to you when I see it.

I know that we wouldn't survive without our meal plan and weekend prep. And I've only got 3! Now if I could just get around to cleaning. Seems like with schooling the kids and feeding them...I've got enough to keep me busy.

1/27/2009 11:34 AM  
Blogger psalm127 said...

Apple crisp looks wonderful any reciep for that one? What wonderful looking wrist warmers.

1/27/2009 8:41 PM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

I'm not sure about your MIT's but you sure accomplished a lot even if they weren't things on your list. The apple smell just isn't coming through the computer screen! so not fair! everything looks yummy, from the food to the knitting.

1/27/2009 8:59 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

YOU!!! you are amazing. i think about you often and wonder how things are going over there!
everything looks fabulous.....and those mitts are adorable!

1/30/2009 12:37 PM  
Blogger A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love all your apple goodies - that apple butter looks delicious!

2/04/2009 2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails