Monday, March 16, 2009

March in Minnesota

It got to 63 degrees on Monday (yesterday), and after a sunny and mildly warm weekend, last Friday's snowmen are gone... Mid 50's today, mid 40's tomorrow, and I should know better than to have even looked at the 10 day forecast. It may snow again next Tuesday, but then again, it may not, those 10 day forecasts aren't always that reliable...

At any rate, even given Minnesota's reputation for snowy Marches and even Aprils, now would not be the best time for this knitter to embark on the pair of beautiful mittens I intended to knit this year. Which beautiful mittens? Oh, any beautiful mittens... I hadn't even decided, there are so many I like, I just knew I wanted to make a pair of fancy, beautiful mittens. But do you know what I wore all winter? I wore a pair of those stretchy little glove thingies I picked up last year for $1. Pathetic. Though I did think they were pretty cool when paired with and worn under my Evangelines.
I'm not going to feel like knitting mittens in August, but would somebody be kind enough to remind me to start some lovely mittens towards the end of summer? Thanks.
I think this time of year would be good for a big comfy pullover- kind of like a hooded sweatshirt but less like something you'd wear to the gym. Or maybe a cozy cardigan, for when easy layers are needed. I'm itching to knit something big, like an actual sweater, for me, but I'm having serious decisiveness deficiency issues... Any suggestions?
In the meantime, while I hem and haw over that one, I've got some more little things to put some finishing touches on. Right now I'm working on a girls' shrug and I'm playing with some embellishment ideas. Embellishment can be so tedious, but it can make a garment so much more than ordinary, it is almost always worth it.

One more sleeve to embroider, then I'll pick up and knit the edging, then, hopefully soon, I'll have a finished object- yay!

Teenager has a violin 'performance class' tomorrow- I need to get a better/faster memory card so I can catch some good video, that, and look up the studio's address so I know where in Minneapolis I'm supposed to be heading... Probably shouldn't knit at a function like that, eh? We'll see...

Happy knitting-

ali

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger a friend to knit with said...

have you knit the central park hoodie yet? i can't remember. but that is still on my list to knit. and would be perfectly worn this time of year.

i adore your embellishing techniques!!! wow.

3/18/2009 7:31 AM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

oooo, I like your embellishing. Can't wait to see the shrug. I want to make some fancy mittens next winter too...maybe we can remind each other next fall. My folks are in Minneapolis this weekend for the NCAA tournament. Wish I was there with them. Have a great day!

3/18/2009 7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my baby girl (11yo)plays the violin, too. Yesterday at her lesson, I watched her fingers dance all over the fingerboard, and thought...those are the same fingers I counted on the day she was born. She is the same baby. Amazing. The sound coming from her violin is just so beautiful. What a lovely thing for a lovely child to have the ability to do.

3/18/2009 12:10 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

gorgeous embroidery! You know, i think it was you that inspired me to put those cheap lil gloves under my fingerless on super cold days, worked great! ( i played the violin for 7 years....long time ago!)

3/18/2009 9:42 PM  
Blogger Kristyn Knits said...

loving your embellishing! how talented you are.
no suggestions for a big knit. I'm working through lots of small projects, but it looks like leslie weighed in...I'd take her advice on knitting any day!
happy knitting!

3/18/2009 9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your embelishing, beautiful.

3/19/2009 1:51 AM  
Blogger Knittymama said...

I'll remind you if you remind me! :-)

3/20/2009 11:10 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh wow, LOVE those embroidered stitches:)

3/22/2009 12:50 PM  
Blogger Prairie Girl said...

Our weather sounds much the same as yours. I just finished a winter article for myself and the thought occurred that realistically, I'm still going to get some wear out of it this year. So I say...start your mittens :)

This embellishing looks gorgeous by the way!

Thanks for visiting - and good luck with the 1000!

3/26/2009 12:02 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like your embellishments!

3/29/2009 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails