Wednesday, November 19, 2008

4 Weeks Can Sure Fly By


Hours turn into days, days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months, months turn into years, and the years keep getting faster and faster...
Enough with the deep thoughts, who has time to contemplate the passing of time? (grin) New babies force me to slow down, and I don't always appreciate that like I should. By nature I'm a very lazy person. Seriously, if I had no children (and no job) I'm not sure what time I'd be out of bed in the morning, but I can pretty much assure you it wouldn't be before 8, especially considering the fact that I can assure you I'd rarely go to bed before 1 or 2 am... After getting out of bed, I'd lounge around, watch a movie, read a book, drool and sigh over gardening and decorating magazines, and then maybe try out some pseudo gourmet type cooking. I might get wrapped up in a sewing project that takes the entire day and my poor husband would come home to find thread and fabric scraps all over the place... (Okay, that has happened, more than once.) I might gain a lot of weight, as you don't usually burn too many calories sitting on the couch all day... I might lose an entire day to internet 'window shopping', rather than the occasional afternoon I lose to that sport these days...

None of that matters. I'm not young and childless, nor am I older with an empty nest. I am a busy mom. My days are already packed before I ever even glance at the calendar or plan an activity, and I wouldn't have it any other way at this point in my life. It's a busy I've gotten used to. It's a busy I've grown to love, so much so that a month of so much down time has been quite a change for me. Well, it might not seem like down time to most people, but spending large chunks of time each day on the couch nursing and holding a baby, takes that time from whatever else I would find to be doing, oh, say, a few short weeks ago.
-I haven't knit much these past 4 weeks, though I am definitely getting my knitting groove back on, much to my sister's delight, I do believe.
-I haven't sewn a single stitch, therefore I am behind on my quilt block of the month.
-I haven't crafted a thing, well, not a complete thing, yet.

I have managed to mostly surface clean my house and have 23 relatives over (add that to our family of nine) for our annual Fall Soup Party, which we combined with a couple baby showers, supplying my and my cousin's babies (both boys) with many soft and cuddly outfits, most bearing tractors, trucks, bears, lions, etc... (cute!) I wonder if anyone noticed that I didn't actually make any soup this year...? I just let them bring the soup to me! Crockpot after crockpot of soup, glorious soup. I have 2 recipe books entirely devoted to soups...

I have managed to do some knitting and swatching with a yarn I can't blog about, yet... Did I pique your interest? I think you're going to love it, I really, really, do. That's all I can say...

I did also manage to finish one birthday hat, one more to make this month and then we're good around here until February. (Still need to get pics of Little M's hat, preferably on her cute little, or dare I say, not so little, head.)

Oh, and I've managed to take pics of baby every day and hope to put together a 1st Thirty Days mosaic sometime before he turns 21.

I now have Thanksgiving on the mind- It's time for cranberry this and cranberry that. Yes, in addition to a good dose of cinnamon, I have always loved just about anything with a cranberry in it!
Favorite cranberry recipe, anyone?

Happy knitting-
ali

9 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie B said...

You seem to be enjoying your down time. Babies always make you see the simpler things in life. And can I saw adorable!!

11/20/2008 9:38 AM  
Blogger km said...

I loved those days of 'down time'. All the better when it was cold and rainy outside. Nothing better than cuddling all the little ones on the couch with some books. When I was last nursing...my others were 2, and 3.

Have you read Cranberry Thanksgiving? There's a recipe at the back. My favorite Cranberry recipe is my Gram's sugared nut mix. I know there are almonds and pretzels and Craisins...and then everything is baked with a cinnamon/sugar mix. I'll have to go find that. Yum!

11/20/2008 10:33 AM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Aaaah, don't babies look so sweet when they sleeping? When their kid size too for that matter.

11/20/2008 10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your baby is beautiful. Thank you for inspiring me to do more. I grew up with LOTS of brothers and sisters and its the best.

11/20/2008 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't usually use the word "darling," but that's what popped into my head when I saw this picture. He is just beautiful, and that sweater and absolutely adorable!

11/20/2008 5:56 PM  
Blogger psalm127 said...

Ahh I could sit nursing and cuddling my baby all day. But then again I would get fatter than I already am and all those projects need to be cut out, sewn together, knit or what ever else. There will be time for those things as well. I think God makes those little babies demand frequent feedings and holding so our own bodies can heal. You are doing an awesome job. He is soooooo cute:)

11/20/2008 6:46 PM  
Blogger knittinbrit_in_wi said...

My favorite is Partridge in A Pear Tree Pie. It's delicious, with cranberries, crushed pineapple and sliced pears. Mmmm. Now, I think I better whip one up in the next couple of days for Thanksgiving (it's a little early for Christmas Pie, but oh so yummy.)

11/21/2008 6:53 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh. i am craving those days ali. i loved them. just hanging on the couch. holding a growing baby. knowing those times are fleeting.

enjoy the crazy. :)

11/21/2008 7:19 PM  
Blogger MaryjoO said...

I just found your blog via a mention on Twisted Stitches --

congrats on the new addition --- how wonderful! (brings back lots of memories ... 29 and 27 years ago LOL)

11/28/2008 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails