Tuesday, October 28, 2008

One Week Already

Well that was a quick week; I knew it would be. Not much knitting has been done, just baby hats and a round on my lagging behind Mystery Sock, or was it only a half a round? That was all I could manage the other night before my eyelids involuntarily closed on me.

So... I will attempt to distract you with baby pics and good eats.

The night before going in for the induction I felt the need to cook my family 'one last real meal' (turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, etc...) and then I even baked a 'real desert'- a freestyle apple tart.
This recipe is so easy, there's really no excuse not to make one when there are apples on the counter and pie crusts in the fridge and it's fall outside...

Freestyle Apple Tart
Prep: 15 min
Bake: 25 min
Total: 40 min
Makes: 8 servings

You Need:
1 ready to use refrigerated pie crust (it's okay to cheat now and then!)
4 oz (1/2 of 8 oz pkg) Cream Cheese, softened
3 of your favorite baking apples, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon or 'cinnamon sugar' (I'm personally a hard-core cinnamon fan, so I don't use extra sugar here)
optional whipped cream for topping

(I made mine without the cream cheese this time, to accommodate my non-cream cheese appreciating husband)

To make-
  1. Heat oven to 450 F. Line pie plate with crust. Spread cream cheese in 6" circle in center (unless your husband detests cream cheese...)
  2. Toss apples with sugar and flour, spoon over cream cheese.
  3. Fold crust partially over apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon (or 'cinnamon sugar').
  4. Bake 25 min, covering loosely with foil for last 5 min. Cool. Top with whipped cream.
  5. Enjoy!

So easy- older kids can slice the apples, younger kids can toss with flour and sugar, any kids can help assemble, and everyone can eat and enjoy!

*Large family tip: Make 2! (Those refrigerated pie crusts come in 2 packs anyway, right?!)

Well, I got a few naps in the 1st three days after having our new little guy, but I haven't gotten a nap in since. My brain was feeling the effects of fatigue last night, according to my eyelids. I think I need to go to bed earlier, it's just so against my nature, or at least my long ingrained bad habits... Adjusting to waking up every 2 hours to nurse at night always takes me a couple weeks. I'm hoping to settle into a decent schedule soon (tomorrow would be nice) as there is so much on my mind to be doing- fall crafts with kids, Thanksgiving unit study, crafting, sewing, decorating, quilting, baking, oh, and some knitting too...

I have a crazy stitch swatch to work up in the next few days- hopefully I can find an hour here and there where my brain is in alert mode, as this stitch will take concentrating, but I think it will be fun- I do so love a challenge.

I may try to knit up another Baby Shrug, this time for my little Mercy, who will soon be turning 2! Remember this? Or this? Or this? Oh, how time flies... Believe me, I'm soaking this one up, and taking a ton of pictures- yay! for digital cameras!

Off to cuddle and nurse, nurse and cuddle...

Happy knitting-

ali

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, he is precious in his little handknits. This is such a sweet time.

10/29/2008 5:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Man is he cute! And I love his hat - it rocks!

10/29/2008 6:57 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh my gosh, ali. he is precious.
i wish i could get my hands on him. :)

thinking of you!

10/29/2008 9:53 PM  
Blogger Janice said...

What a sweetie! My guy nursed pretty much every two hours around the clock for the longest time. I figured out I could knit baby hats while he was nursing. DPNS made me a little nervous so close to his precious face (especially when I was sleep deprived), but circs were perfect.

10/30/2008 9:13 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

He is just too precious. My oldest turns 7 on Nov. 6th and I just can't imagine where the last few years have gone. I know you totally see that with your almost 2yo.

In case you feel like a 'real dinner' sometime when you don't have hands to cook, a friend showed me her secret with a turkey breast. Jenni-O has a frozen turkey breast with included gravy packet. I dump that with the packet and a can of Cream of Chicken in my crock pot...it's so yum. And it doesn't feel hassle free. This turkey even has a little popper included to let you know when it's done. That's the kind of cooking you can do with a new baby.

Enjoy your little one.

10/30/2008 10:57 AM  
Blogger Traci said...

no WAY! that went by crazy fast!

just let me know when you're wanting a burrito darlin' and i'm there!
:D

10/30/2008 5:25 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

oh yeah, what a YuMmY looking apple thingy!
:D

10/30/2008 5:26 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

He is beautiful!!!! I love his scrumptious cheeks.

10/31/2008 12:18 PM  
Blogger psalm127 said...

I tried leaving a comment earlier but the computer gremlins were running loose and I couldn't post, so we will seee if they are still out and running. Your new little one is adorable! thanks for the reciept also. I am always looking for quick easy yummy things to make for my family. Enjoy that little one. Oh mine wants to nurse so I had better go.

11/05/2008 9:30 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

He's such a beautiful boy! Seven ... I'd say WOW but I'm the oldest of 8 and my daughter has 8 also ... but, it was unlikely for me to have 8.

Bless you, dear and the new wee one.

11/19/2008 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails