Tuesday, September 30, 2008

In Other Loppem News

The Loppem Finish That Almost Wasn't

There I was, house almost to myself, time on my hands, my to-do list written out, knitting away, when I noticed this-
Shock. Disbelief. Horror. I have never made such an air-headed mistake in all my knitting. Well, there was that sleeve incident with my Cropped Cardigan, that was kind of air-headed. Maybe I should say I've never made such a painful mistake in my knitting. This wasn't 25 rows of 60 sts or less, in plain St st or a simple 1x1 rib, in a bulky gauge... This was a misdirected cabling, 10 rows back, long rows, 22o sts each at this point, over a cable pattern. Ouch.

I was faced with the horrid prospect of having to attempt a sweater surgery, the magnitude of which I have never attempted (my hats off to you lace knitters who can repair misknit lace!), or the ripping back of 10 very long rows requiring much more reworking.
I remembered a post on the Loppem KAL on Ravelry, which referred to this drastic repair job, and I knew it could be done. It was time to be daring, time to work on a new skill, time to get to work- after a good night's sleep and some whimpering for sympathy from my sister.
I figured, worst case scenario- I would have to rip back, and well, if I didn't attempt the surgery, I would be ripping back anyway, so... I figured it was time to 'scrub in'.
I thought maybe I could just drop those middle 5 sts involved in the misdirected cable, but as I got close, I realized that those sts were crossed with neighboring sts in the rest of the cable, so I ended up dropping everything in between the knit st borders- 13 sts of cabling...
I stuck a double point needle through those sts and sat back and wondered what to do next- then began reworking those sts with that big bunch of wild yarn dangling after dropping all of those sts all of those rows...
It was much easier than I had imagined, in fact, I'd almost say it was fun. What a sense of exhilaration and accomplishment (this, coming from the girl who would work and rework that crazy extra credit problem in Algebra, until finally letting out a very audible 'yes!!' with hands in the air like I'd just crossed the finish line first and the gold was all mine!!)


Notice the celebratory chocolate, conveniently in the house due to pregnancy induced sweet tooth.

I am no longer nearly as intimidated by such knitting emergencies, and will endeavor henceforth to think of such trials as merely knitting challenges (can you tell who's been on a Jane Austen kick for the last several years...?) though I don't think my brain is ready for any complicated lace repairs any time soon (not a problem, as I don't have any lacework in my near future, now my distant future- that's another story.) For that, I should wait until the pregnancy brain fog has lifted, and the 'young nursing baby robbing me of all sleep lasting more than 2 hours' phase has passed, which for me and my babies usually lasts for 6-9 months. I should pick up some under eye concealer soon, even though I'm not a make-up person. 3 months from now, when every person I meet and greet says something to the effect of 'you look so tired', I'll know I've waited too long...

I still want to make another Loppem, in brown. So many sweaters to knit, so little time...

Happy knitting-
ali

PS- Baby Countdown Details
  • 'Due' in 10 days- just dawning on me that 10 days is less than 2 weeks...
  • still have 2 bedroom painting projects I am hoping to get to before baby
  • we have no idea on a name yet, well some ideas, but no consensus
  • need to do more pantry stocking
  • should pack a 'hospital bag' soon
  • need new nursing bras
  • got fabric for a quilt like this one, or this one
  • cast on a Garter Stitch Cardigan Saturday afternoon, one sleeve and finishing to go...
  • In an effort to clean & declutter before baby, I now have a van load of 'stuff' for the thrift store, it needs to get dropped off asap

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Kendra Fletcher said...

Awesome!

9/30/2008 12:35 PM  
Blogger Stephanie B said...

Congrats on your fix. I am super impressed. It is nice to hear that it isn't that hard. You know just in case!

9/30/2008 12:44 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I am in awe. I can do this on plain stitches, but to fix cables too? Wow.

9/30/2008 2:14 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Great work on your sweater, thanks for showing it off.

Wow, you sound so nesty, so much to get done before the little one comes :-)

9/30/2008 2:29 PM  
Blogger Knittymama said...

Did you copy my list? I swear I had almost the exact same list a week before our guy was born!

9/30/2008 5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done you!

9/30/2008 11:33 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

been thinking about you. and hope you are doing well. :) wow. so close.

nice save...and yes. one in brown would be lovely.
and green. and cream. and plum.
oh loppem, how i love you!

10/01/2008 7:24 AM  
Blogger Gale Bulkley said...

First of all, best wishes for the safe delivery of your child. Your loppem looks great.
Thank you for your well considered comments. I have calmed down considerably since that posting.

10/02/2008 11:15 AM  
Blogger Traci said...

woo hoo! awesome job on the fix! it turned out so great.

now starts the countdown for your most precious WIP! we can hardly wait to see him!
:D

10/02/2008 11:29 AM  
Blogger psalm127 said...

WOW I didn't know you could do that! Well if I ever find that I need to do that I think I am heading to your house. lol

I can hardly wait until your little one arrives, How exciting. I though I was pregnant again, week and a half late but alas I started so no little one for me at this time. I keep getting extremly hot and I don't know if it is due to my age or do to the weather. ha ha. Well good luck on the delievery and waiting to hear about this new little one. God bless Laura

10/02/2008 7:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can you hear my applause from North Carolina? I thought I was brave, until I saw all your loose stitches. NO WAY could I do that. That would have become a permanent UFO :-)

10/04/2008 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails