Friday, April 18, 2008

It Could Happen

Guess what I did... won the lottery? Nope. They say "It could happen.", but that's only true for people who actually buy tickets. Fixed the hole in that little orange teddy's head? Nope, not yet, but it is on the agenda to tackle today.



I did something that will really not impress serious sock knitters, those with years of socks and dozens of pairs under their needles. But for a recent sock addict, who's knitting has consisted of more sweaters than anything else, this is huge. Ready for this? I kitchenered the toe of my Cable Rib Sock last night, without looking at any directions. That's right. I did it by heart. Woohoo!


I was excited. I put on my one sock, strutted like the proverbial proud peacock over to my husband and teenage son, stuck my foot near their faces and beamed. My husband was impressed with the cable running all the way down, on both sides even. My teenager asked, "Where's the other one?". Teenagers. Enough said. I gave him a quick "Watch it, boy!" and tried to give him the sternest look I could muster up while trying not to crack up at the little stinker grinning back at me with that mischievous smile that silly kids can do, oh, so well.



I actually cast on for this sock quite a while back... and then set it down and forgot about it. When I remembered it, I couldn't find it. That's how deep my pile of ufo's is at times... It would take me some serious and laborious hours of data entry to let the world know (via Ravelry) how much I really have going on at one time. Anyway, I'm hoping to cast on and finish the second sock in much shorter order than the first. My hopes and dreams don't always pan out, but a girl can try...


I'm actually having way too much fun with little baby socks, which is cool because there seem to be babies being born all around me. Gotta think up some matching hats and sweaters, etc... If only there weren't so many other things to do each and every day... mental note- train more kids to cook!


Speaking of cooking, we recently celebrated our anniversary and received a wonderful knife set from my family. I was slicing potatoes for some homemade garlicky oven fries, and I realized how careless I had become with my practically useless old knives. I wielded those things with no fear. Brushing against a finger had never hurt before... hehehe... I'm one of those peel towards your thumb even though the Home Ec teacher told us not to type of peelers. Sharp knives do make a difference. I now have a couple very tiny paper cut-like breaks in the skin of my right thumb, a new found fear of/respect for sharp knives, as well as a new found fear of young children chopping vegetables to help with dinner. I must get over that last fear if I am ever to get my little sous chefs to take over my kitchen so I can sit back, eating peeled grapes and knitting... "It could happen."



Well, it could...


Happy knitting-
ali


*eta- 2nd Cable Rib Sock is cast on and underway!

7 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I will never forget the moment I kitchenered without instructions. It was like I had climbed Everest and survived.

Congrats on the beautiful sock!

4/19/2008 11:03 AM  
Blogger km said...

I'm impressed. I couldn't kitchener withougt looking. I really like the subtle changes in those stripes. What's the yarn you're using?

4/19/2008 11:24 AM  
Blogger Knit-Wit said...

Oh Oh - now that you have finished your socks you will be totally addicted! I now wear hand knitted socks exclusivley (OK - maybe not to the gym).

That kitchner stitch was a pain to get the hang of and now I can breeze right through it without looking at the book again. It took several pairs for me to get it done. Good for you!

4/19/2008 1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty sock. Congrats on mastering kitchener. I usually have to concentrate really, really hard and make sure no one talks to me when I do it. Careful with those knives!

4/19/2008 7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congradulations! I just finished my second pair of socks but I dont' quite have the Kitchener Stitch memorized yet hopefully soon though.

4/19/2008 9:40 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

You kitchenered by HEART?? I bow to your greatness...

4/20/2008 5:44 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

woo hoo finished cabled sock!
woo hoo no looking kitchener stitch!
woo hoo second sock cast on!
woo hoo picking a great colorway!
woo hoo training kids to cook!
woo hoo garlic potatoes!
:)

p.s. i'm your biggest fan can you tell?

4/23/2008 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails