Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Dusting Off the Old Sewing Machine

I've really inspired myself, I think, with this contest idea. Not only have I listed some heavy duty knitting goals for myself for this summer- but I've broken my June list down to weekly lists, and I've added things like cleaning, painting, gardeing, and even a little sewing. And in a move to get another item checked off my list I took less than an hour of my afternoon to finish a simple skirt I started for my girls way too long ago...

All that was waiting to be done was to gather and attach the ruffle, and yet I procrastinated...
Well, I finally have a finished object (FO) for my sewing memoirs- Hmmm, I really think I'm going to start 'documenting' (journaling? scrapbooking?) the things that I sew too. The memory can last ever so much longer than a lightweight cotton that's well-worn, and oft-washed...
And here's a quick pic of the finished product! Yay! That felt good. I think I always give a satisfied sigh after finishing just about any project, much like when finishing a good book...

On the knitting front- or should I say back?
The Eyelet Cardigan (on my goals list for June) is well underway! I have a completed Back and half of a Right Front, (which is on my broken down list for this week.) I may actually have a summery sweater for my very self in the near future- yay!

A gratuitous close-up of the simple eyelet lace and ribbing pattern...

Now I've got far too many contest entries to catch up on- my spreadsheet it spreading...

Happy knitting-
ali

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're amazing! I learned to sew in middle school, but never really liked it. Too much measuring and cutting and having to be straight. I can't do straight edges - not drawing, cutting or sewing. ;) Still, I don't like most store bought clothes and they don't fiit me anyway... I should try to sew again.

And a sweater. Amazing. :)

5/30/2007 11:51 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Wow, weekly lists? You are amazing...and the skirt is so cute!

5/31/2007 6:46 AM  
Blogger Fiber Chic said...

Beautiful sweater!!

5/31/2007 7:23 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

The skirt is darling but I have to say that the model makes the picture. Love the smirk! And the lace is of course, lovely. Thanks for sharing.

PS - you'd be welcome to join us for a dye-day anytime!

5/31/2007 7:39 AM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

I took sewing lessons 3 times growing up and could never make a garment that looked right. So I am in awe of people who can make clothes...the skirt looks ever so cute! And yeah for a FO!
Love how the cardigan is knitting up!

5/31/2007 8:59 AM  
Blogger Traci said...

i was literally just upstairs digging a path to my machine and dusting it off! i want to work on a few summery items before Love is completely too big for anything i've got in my stash. 14 is coming up on me way too fast!
your eyelet is beautiful, of course. BSA yarn is the best to work with. i want to make one in tomatoe or maybe the handspun. it's so hard to choose!
:)

5/31/2007 11:25 AM  
Blogger Ranee @ Arabian Knits said...

I am learning to sew this summer, partly so I can make cute little things for my five kids, and especially my daughter. It's hard to find clothes that don't look like they came from Harlots R Us and are also cost effective for a family of our size. :)

It is neat to see what other people make, too. I have a goal of sewing most, if not all, of my clothes, and being able to make anything we wear, even if I don't do it all myself.

5/31/2007 11:56 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Great skirt!! I also love your eyelet cardigan pattern, and I'm thinking of knitting it myself eventually.

I admire your organization and wish you could take over the wedding planning that I'm now starting to drown in!

5/31/2007 3:59 PM  
Blogger YarnThing said...

The skirt is really cute! And I love the back of the sweater. Can't wait to see the whole thing finished.

Hope a lot of the contest people are from me :-) Here is to hoping!

I wanna win :-)
But then again, doesn't everybody? LOL

Marly
knitthing.blogspot.com

5/31/2007 4:21 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

The skirt is adorable! I'm so impressed you can sew, too! The eyelet cardi looks lovely. Yours looks even more tempting than the photo on the pattern!

5/31/2007 7:10 PM  
Blogger Surviving said...

How do you manage to get so much done? I only have 3 boys and I have a hard time getting anything done at all.

5/31/2007 7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, cute skirt.

You are one organized mamma, I could learn a lesson or two from you.

5/31/2007 8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn, the contest post is gone. It's still Thursday here in CA. ;-) Thought I could make it in time.

5/31/2007 9:17 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Wow, I wish I could be so organized. Cute skirt ... but that's a really cute little girl wearing it too!

BTW, your knitting is amazing too.

6/01/2007 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails