Saturday, December 20, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Winter

Freezing rain is not my friend. I once spun across 3 lanes of I35 trying to drive home in the freezing rain. My neck still suffers the effects of the impact that stopped said spinning. If the words freezing rain are uttered in a forecast, I 'hunker down' and do not emerge from our cozy dwelling until necessary, and until the roads are safely navigable.
Monday's freezing rain, followed by bitter cold, brought the added pleasure of having to chip our way into the vehicles, fun stuff. Mental note- just because the doors finally come open doesn't mean the windows will open, this makes things awkward when attempting to grab some 'fast food', one more reason not to be buying fast food...

But the trees- they were a sight to behold. When the sun shone through it was like living in some magical crystal world, so amazingly beautiful, and so impossible to fully capture on film or video. The neatest thing about this week's freezing rain was the fact that the trees looked like this for days. I don't think ours melted until Thursday afternoon sometime, when it got to a balmy 20 something degrees. (Oh, and it did not make it up to 4 degrees on Monday, in fact it did not make it up to zero. I think we made it to 4 on Tuesday...)

And here we are with another winter storm in our neck of the woods (along with most of the rest of our state, and several others). We've got wood to keep the homefires burning, soup fixings to keep the crock pots busy, popcorn to pop, and a closet full of games to keep active minds occupied- another round of Set, anyone? Oh, and yarn. We have yarn, there is always something to knit around here.
Baby notes: At 2 months old tomorrow, baby Joseph is growing like a weed and has started aggressively sucking/gnawing on hands- my oldest had 2 teeth at 2 months, this could be the beginning of teething already. He is congested, but holding his own with the cold bug that has hit our home- a definite plus to late and large babies, they're hardy. He is a spoiled little sweetie, who definitely prefers sleeping in my arms to any cradle or criblike bed meant for babies. This has resulted in a further decrease in productivity for myself, as well as more than a few achy muscles, but he's cute, and this time goes by way too fast, so I'll continue to indulge him for a little while longer.
Enjoying the winter wonderland (though I could do without the nasty wind chills). How's the weather where you are?
happy knitting-
ali

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am truly enjoying being snowed in this weekend. I'm getting so much knitting and house things done. That precious baby is teething already?! I can't believe how fast they grow...

12/21/2008 9:06 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Friday was a snow day. 14" here. Sunday has brought -30 windchills. Yipee! I'm glad I did my shopping on Saturday when the weather was reasonable.

12/21/2008 5:40 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Hah hah, that 'frozen windows' problem is one that I know all too well:)
I am here until Friday only:(

But a meet-up (some time when freezing rain isn't a possibility) is in our future,right???

12/23/2008 7:27 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh! i could only wish for snow around here.....that never came. only rain.
merry Christmas, ali!
all the best to you and yours for 2009!

12/24/2008 3:49 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

great pics! brrrr...i'm glad we survived that cold snap! the awesome snow today almost makes up for it!
:D

12/30/2008 11:46 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

we have just ended a long week of being snowed (and iced) in. Sorry about the accident though! the ice does look pretty if you don't have to drive in it.

12/31/2008 2:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photos look wonderful. We don't have freezing rain here, but it#s raining on a night, clearing and then freezing again, the paths are so slippy to walk to school atm. I'm so glad I refuse to drive!

1/07/2009 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails