Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Still a Little Time to Wear it...

We interrupt the regularly scheduled blog post for what can only be described as a very bad joke...

Somebody has got to be kidding...
I mean, seriously...
What IS the deal?
This is getting ridiculous. It IS the 26th of April, after all. At least, that's what my calendar says... My hilarious 8 year old son heard the forecast on the radio yesterday and, without missing a beat, let out an exasperated "does Al Gore know about this?!"

Guess what I got done earlier this week? I got the last of the kids' winter coats washed and packed away... sigh...
Anyway, returning to the regularly scheduled blog post, I still have a little time to wear my Eyelet Cardigan. Like, maybe, a week or two... but hey, it's done. (excuse the cottonball and tape- I just had blood drawn and totally forgot to take that off! Oops!)


This cardigan really should've been my top priority during my attempt to finish ufo's in January. Not only have I missed some nice, light, short-sleeved sweater wearing kind of days, but I will soon be of a shape that is not quite as ideally fitted for this design as my usual shape & size... I was 16 weeks along yesterday, that's almost halfway- woohoo! I'm just starting to notice the lack of a waistline, (I am typically somewhat 'scrawny' as my family would say...) so this is me, halfway through pregnancy with number 7, no tomatoes please, I'm tall and 'have a lot of room to hide baby' according to the midwives...


I pulled it out last week and finally seemed and set the sleeves. I picked it back up this week and finally got to the button and button-hole bands. Then there was light blocking and some cute little buttons. I love wood (even a good wood-look imitation will do) buttons, especially paired with an au natural color such as this.


The pattern, as originally designed, is a bit short. I knew I would like another inch or 2, so that's precisely what I added- an inch to the bottom ribbed section, and one extra patern stitch 4-row repeat before the bust shaping, as I am rather long-waisted...

I knit mine in Drift, just like the original, simply because I loved it, and I didn't have a single sweater in my possession in white or off-white, unless an old ivory maternity turtleneck sweater off the Target clearance counts... nope, doesn't count. (I won't even be able to wear it- I'm due early October, when it just starts getting cold. Being largely pregnant over the hottest months like July, August, and even September will require short sleeves, cap sleeves, or no sleeves even...) I'm sure I will eventually end up knitting a second one, probably in Expresso or Toffee- I love browns, especially anything that resembles my favorite candy bar, which I can't seem to get enough of lately...

Ehem, back to the knitting. My second Cable Rib Sock is well under way and might've been done by now if I was given to inclinations of project monogamy...


Here is one of the pairs of cute little baby socks I've been mildy obsessed with. I knit the first one while listening to the Yarn Harlot herself. It snowed a lot that night too. That night was in April too. Isn't it supposed to be 'April showers bring May flowers? Short spurts of kitchenering several times over the course of a week enabled me to memorize that technique. Fun stuff, that kitchenering.



I knit half of this front piece to a little Girl's Sundress for my 18 month old while waiting at my first midwife appointment yesterday and it was going so well that I just kept going and finished the piece shortly after supper last night. I'll probably cast on the back and get it underway today and try to finish it up tomorrow- what an easy fun knit. Baby and toddler knitting is so much fun for those of us with short attention spans...
I changed the colorwork to give it twice as much color. I love bright colors on little girls! It's no wonder why the Hanna Andersson outlet has become one of my favorite stops...

I know I've bombarded you with a great many pictures, but this was just too cute...

Happy knitting-

ali

14 Comments:

Blogger Bertha said...

Number 7?! Wow! Congratulations!!

4/26/2008 12:18 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Hahaha ... What a SMART 8 year old! My DH is a M.I.T. graduate and he would have said the same thing as your 8 year old. tehe

4/26/2008 4:59 PM  
Blogger dressmaker in training said...

You look like you're 25 and hardly the mother of six children:) Congratulations on the seventh!

4/26/2008 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that sweater it is adorable on you.

4/26/2008 5:43 PM  
Blogger Kendra Fletcher said...

Oh, Ali, I feel your pain! Well, not really. It's 90 degrees here and my kids are swimming... but, oh, I think I would die in all that snow.

Congrats on your newest little one. You're catching up to me!

Your designs are wonderful and I am happy to see you blogging on your knitting, too. Right now I have two WIPs, which is too many for my befuddled mind!

~Kendra

4/26/2008 6:40 PM  
Blogger Montreal Mama said...

Last year, in MAY in Montreal we were wearing winter coats & hats. I remember, because that's the last time I saw my son's Montreal Canadiens hat, that I'm so upset for losing. Mother Nature is sure confused. I wouldn't be surprised if it snowed here again, one more time. I keep telling my hubby, I'll have in labor (due first week of July) and it will be snowing.

4/26/2008 7:13 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I finished my eyelet cardi a few weeks ago, but just finally sewed the button on (I opted for one button at the top) 5 minutes ago. I just love it... and the feel of the cotton.

And you look great! By my 5th I looked pregnant the morning after conception!

4/26/2008 10:41 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I am so glad that all of the snow that hit the midwest was rain by the time we got it. We would have been buried is a couple of feet of the icky white stuff otherwise.

You look fantastic at 16 weeks! There are some real advantages to being tall and slender.

4/27/2008 8:41 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Wow, congrats on your baby news, had you mentioned your pregnancy before? Love that Eyelet cardi, and Hanna Andersson is one of my favorites as well...and the snow has melted already, right? RIGHT?!!

4/27/2008 2:40 PM  
Blogger raining sheep said...

Awesome little cardi, yeah, snow, ours finally melted today, we had seven straight days of snow and -11C (I think that is like 6F in amerian temperature) temps in Calgary for almost two weeks...and so yeah, does Al Gore know about this.

4/27/2008 8:46 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I am with you on the snow girl! I mean come on 2 weeks ago we had 28" and then another 7" this weekend. What the heck is going on!?!?! last week I was basking in high 60's and low 70's with the windows wide open. My boy's winter gear was still out(sometimes it pays to procrastinate) You look great for 16 weeks! I wish I had looked half as good with my 3rd-he was huge! Here's to spring maybe coming soon! :)

4/28/2008 9:52 AM  
Blogger Dove Knits said...

You look amazing, as does your cardigan. I think I've already offered congratulations on #7, but I'll do it again: congratulations! What happy news!

I was going to complain that here in Chicago, the temperatures went from 70+ on Friday to the 40s the following day, but at least it didn't snow! Yikes!

4/28/2008 3:16 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

no tomatoes please...i like the snow! *ducking* it's so pretty and never lasts long this time of year.

YaY! you finished the cardi-looks great!

i want to knit those sockies too! you used BSA melange right? can i get the pattern from you? i need some melange or even the sportweight. i have a few patterns that i can use it with...

i like how the sundress is turning out. great colors! i may make one just b/c. Hanna A's rocks!
:)

4/28/2008 5:00 PM  
Blogger Knit-Wit said...

We can get snow every month of the year here. Last year we had July and August with no snow.

Love the cardigan. I haven't tried making one of those yet but want to.

Great job on the socks. I love knitting socks.

4/29/2008 10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails