Saturday, January 19, 2008

My January 08 UFOs- Let the Finishing Begin!

First up on my own Finish-an-Unfinished-Object list are these Worsted Knee Socks -


I started these, um, sometime quite a while ago. Don't be fooled, they knit up rather fast, at least the first one did (especially if you're used to knitting your sock in a lace or fingering weight on size 1 or 2 needles...) I came down with a case of Second-Sock-Syndrome, and even after I finally got around to casting on the second sock I was still rather run down with my Knitting Attention Deficit and, well, other need-to-knits kept getting in the way... Sock #2 is done to the heel; it should only take an hour or two...

Next in line is this eyelet baby sweater, started some years ago. I think it was the 2nd project I ever completed- well, almost completed. I believe 2 of my daughters have worn this sweater sans buttons...

Yep, all it needs is buttons- you wouldn't think that would take a couple years, would you? Well, you must not know me very well yet... (this will not come as much of a surprise to my sister...)

Next up is this bright little Kid's Kimono. It appears done, and I guess it could pass as such, but I made the button loops too big and those cool bamboo toggle things keep slipping out of their respective loops- this is very disenheartening to toddlers wearing this sweater. It has caused much consternation. Those loops need to be remade, and soon; I have another daughter just about the size to wear this striped yumminess. Have I ever mentioned how much I love stripes?

(The striping was a yarn shortage induced variation. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to have enough of the Poppy. My affirming sister told me they reminded her of Big Bird's legs... I think I always liked Big Bird's legs-love those bright stripes!)

Another thing that should only take me a few minutes... yet it has taken over a year... yes, procrastination is my middle name...

That brings us to this little purple thing. It's another of those eyelet baby sweaters (given name unknown at the moment as the Leisure Arts booklet this pattern came from is temporarily missing in action.) If I remember correctly (and I seldom do) this sweater was a good part of the reason the buttons never got sewn on the green one. This yarn is much softer. I quickly became disillusioned with the scratchy acrylic yarn I used for the first one (though it was the prettiest yarn I could find at Walmart that week) and wasn't very concerned with the finishing anymore... but then I was excited to actually put something I had knit on one of my babies, even without buttons.

I'm not really sure what project jumped ahead of the finishing on this one. One thing I do know, this project has languished in my knitting basket for far too long. It needs to be finished, even if baby Mercy is getting too big to wear it. It is probably destined to be gifted. My youngest sister is nearing the birth of her first, but it seems pretty likely that he's going to be a boy, and I doubt she would dress him in light purple eyelet anything, no matter how much love went into the making. But really, how much love can there be in an abandoned project that has sat so long I can't even locate the pattern? I think I'll have to count neckline and button band stitches on the green one to finish the puppy. I can do that, really I can, but not tonight... maybe tomorrow... see what I mean about that middle name thing?

Well, that's what I'll be working on this month, that and an armful of other projects, like usual.

Happy knitting-

ali

eta: Buttons were sown on the green baby sweater last night, and the 2nd Worsted Knee Sock was completed this afternoon. Socks await blocking.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love that kimono especially, although that baby sweater is too cute--hope you find the pattern!

1/21/2008 8:20 AM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Hi Ali, thanks so much for the comments on my blog!

I wish my socks turnrd out as nicely as that! Mine are so boring... *sigh*

1/21/2008 11:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh! I've made a pair or two of baby booties, but no real socks, and tiny needles make me want to poke my eyes out. But I really want to make adult socks. Those knee socks look PERFECT! I think I need to add them to my queue :-)

1/21/2008 1:09 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Definately looks like you are off to a good start finishing these projects!! Thanks for the motivation ...I can't believe I've finished my Clapotis finally (after over a year of being untouched!).

1/21/2008 9:12 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Lovely sweaters. And it's always nice to have gifts on hand already knit up. Eases you from the pressure of coming up with a gift real quick like. But alas, I can never seem to get ahead with that idea. Don't know why!

1/23/2008 10:20 AM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

I love the stripes on the baby kimono! I would have never guessed that wasn't your original intention. Nice job.

1/23/2008 4:22 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Big Bird's Legs...LOL. It's so funny how it's often easiest to drop a project in favor of something else when it's thisclose to being done. I'm right there with you on that, sitting here, at the computer, wearing a sweater with no buttons. :)

1/26/2008 10:05 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

busy busy lady! :)

1/27/2008 1:44 AM  
Blogger gradschoolknitter said...

Way to finish! I'm done my project (early even!) and have posted already: here.

1/27/2008 4:10 PM  
Blogger gradschoolknitter said...

Whoops. Forget the comment I just left you. I copied the wrong address down for my FO post. It should be this one.

1/27/2008 4:11 PM  
Blogger psalm127 said...

very cool. I love coming here to see what you are working on. I have a pair of socks I started on two circular needles and only work on them when I am between project or like today when I have to go to an appointment and my stole requiers more attention than a doctors office will allow. On the finish side I did complete my January socks for the KAL, plus all my yarn I orderd over the holidays came in last week. So now I have soakers and a coat to make along with the Sock and Stole KAL. http://homeschoolblogger.com/psalm127

1/28/2008 9:37 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

Wow, you have been so busy and productive!

2/05/2008 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails