Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Tiny Mittens

Not as tiny as the tiny sweaters... but my sister knit these for the little hands of my cold dear children.
Then I spent an hour exercising a little ADD, putting off a couple projects, playing with Fireworks (as I don't yet own Photoshop, sigh...) and ended up with this.

Why? It really serves no useful purpose, other than the simple joys I get when playing with anything creative. It really can be addicting. But then supper needed to be cooked, served, eaten, and cleaned up after... and then there was the little run to the ER for x-rays to see if 8 year old's ankle was broken... just a bad sprain, poor little guy. Thankfully, we have yet to require a cast for any broken bones around here. There was a toe incident, which only resulted in a little 'buddy taping', but that really doesn't count now, does it? And that would make 2 ER trips in 4 days- it's getting to be a bad habit... baby has pneumonia (and set a family temperature record, coming in at 105.9) and that has kinda slowed the knitting progress as there has been a lot of baby holding. I may have knit while nursing a wee one, but an active (and sicky-crabby) 13 month old is a different story- she likes to pull on needles... she pulled a needle out of the sock I brought with to work on... ugh... she's in bed now, I should be knitting.

Back to my sister's mitten gifting. So cool to have a sister who makes sweet things for my little people. She was teaching herself to do colorwork, with bulky, for small hands... why didn't I think of that? I taught myself to do colorwork doing this...


After I had spent a day learning to cast on, knit and purl, I figured I knew what I was doing so I ran out and bought some Red Heart yarn and cast on for my very first sweater. I didn't even have a garter ridge scarf under my belt... classic overachiever move. That sweater lies unfinished, just needs another sleeve, which I know wouldn't even take a week... but I've moved on to greater things, well, more distracting things, and definitely greater yarns, though the Red Heart served my beginner budget well. Now that I've shared that sad tale, I may get up the gumption to knit that sleeve that has plagued my mind with knitter's guilt for several years now. Cyber accountability... we'll see. It won't be this week, my husband's sleeves are much higher on the priority ladder. And they're calling me, right now, can you hear them?

happy knitting,
ali

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Wow that Celtic Cardigan detail is amazing, and I love tiny mitten collection!

12/19/2007 2:22 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Awww...those mittens are so sweet, what a great sister.

12/19/2007 4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before I go out and buy wool for mittens tell me if they keep the water out when playing in snow.

Katie
www.teambettendorf.com

12/20/2007 8:13 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Those mittens are wonderful! Nothing wrong with dreaming big with that sweater tho...

Thanks for the package! It just arrived and is completely wonderful - yummy yarn and gluten-free treats! My coworkers and I have been giggling about the "coal." :)

12/20/2007 11:50 AM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Thank you for coming by my blog - the little mitts are so cute! Sorry for your ER trips - I have heard a sprain acn be harder than a break, yikes - poor guy. OMG and the wee one too - that is an incredible fever. Hope you all take care and have a relaxing, healthy holiday!

12/21/2007 6:53 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Funny, I thought that I heard my husband's sweater calling to me to work on it... maybe it is a duet? :)

Love the little mittens ;)

12/21/2007 7:37 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

Merry Christmas :)

12/25/2007 12:12 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

i triple-dog dare ya to finish that sweater! come on... ;)

hee hee, love the mini mitts-Sylv is great!

1/18/2008 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails