Friday, February 19, 2010

Does She Still Knit?


I do, I do, though the past several weeks I haven't knit as much as my usual. I've been reading a lot (ironically enough, I've been reading about writing), and a lot of reading takes up a lot of time. My reading and my knitting usually come in spurts of obsessive one-or-the-other-ness. All knitting, all the time, or all reading, all the time. A few days of one and then a few days of the other.

Reading has always been an easy thing for me to hop back into, but knitting is not always like that. Knitting momentum, for me, is a mysterious thing at times. I can knit obsessively, picking up steam on a project, get distracted (sometimes with another project, often times with one of my sweetly distracting children), and then, for some inexplicable reason, not want to pick that project back up. I'll put it off for hours, days, sometimes a week or more, sometimes so much more... Crazy odd, I know, especially for a yarn enthusiast and knitting designer.

The rest of the truth is that I've been putting more of my brainpower into my Mothering, and that's a good thing. I've been blogging thoughts and Mothering process shots over at anordinarymom.com. I never meant to neglect this place, but it's that momentum thing. It's like my momentum pendulum has swung another direction for a while. I have so many ideas and projects going that I'm sure my knitting and designing will gain momentum as we swing into a new season- one that includes sunshine and warmth. Which reminds me, I need to go take my vitamin D.

We have the rest of February and the entire month of March yet to experience in The Frozen Tundra*, so my lingering scarf should still get some wear yet this season. Those of you who have already packed your scarves away, or gasp!, never donned a scarf this past season (because you would've been way too hot in your garden...), well, I guess I shouldn't complain about your flower pics, after all, I can't imagine the angst of a knitting or crocheting yarn enthusiast who misses out on a good cold winter in which to wear so many hand knit hats, mittens, scarves, & sweaters. Oh, and socks, I imagine my Florida friends might sweat a little in hand-knit wool socks... I'm not a fan of sweating. I am a fan of sweaters and even sweater socks, but not sweating, so the Frozen Tundra living does work out for me.

*Minnesota, or Minnesnowta, or the Land of 10,000 Frozen Lakes

I've mentioned the scarf, the scarf that defies explanation (more on that soon), and I am also working on a sweet little spring cardigan for my youngest daughter- still needs buttons. I had grand intentions of knitting all 4 of them matching cardigans, but that just isn't going to happen this season. That's ok, I've got family that continues to hit the Old Navy clearance racks and they always have something that one of my children really should have that week :-) It's like having a small army of personal shoppers, which is cool because I dislike shopping, except for the occasional trips to the Hanna Andersson Outlet for some unbelievable $5 finds. Yes, most of the Hanna's you've seen on my girls in photos over the years were $5 dresses. I love their outlet sales. Enough said.

Ok, time to sew some buttons on three sweaters! and mend a few dangling buttons before they become lost buttons...

Happy knitting-
ali

6 Comments:

Anonymous larissa said...

Love that you're doing what makes you happy. I also enjoy reading about writing - i would love to become a better writer. Take care of those beautiful kiddos of yours and post when you have time - we'll still be here. Have a wonderful weekend!

2/19/2010 2:15 PM  
Blogger Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Pretty yarn pic - it looks like both you and your yarn were able to get some vitamin D. I'm so excited the sun is starting to feel warm again! Spring will be here before we know it (I hope).

2/19/2010 7:34 PM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

hang in there through these last weeks of winter..spring will come. it sounds like you're busy enough with all you have going on...I understand the momentum swing. it happens here too. right now, i'm in a sewing phase.

2/21/2010 9:08 PM  
Anonymous Amanda said...

You take such great pictures!! And I cant wai to see your projects....

Blessings-
Amanda

2/21/2010 9:36 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I will check out your other blog. I go through phases of what I like to do. Sometimes I crochet, sometimes knit, sometimes paper crafts. I love to read and what love to know what books you're reading on writing and your thoughts. I would love to become a better writer. I don't know where to begin with books on writing~there are so many.

Ruth

2/23/2010 6:52 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I LOVE your picture of the skeins on the post with the snow as a back drop the best. Almost looks like sky but then I could see the footprints. I find a pic taken at an angle like that to be so eye appealing. Maybe you can tell ... I have a lot of lopsided pictures, LOL. Nice work, Alison. And I bet you're still knitting a little behind the scenes?

2/28/2010 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails