Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Girls Love Girly Mitts

Design work is still work, and being such, has moved to one of the many back burners I always keep lit, but turned down to simmer. Summers are busy by their very nature, throw in a couple asthma flare-ups requiring hospital stays and they turn into crazy week after weeks that roll into months of trying to get back into a routine, followed by a late summer and fall full of soccer, field trips, and working to get into a new routine, a homeschooling routine, and, well, I find myself having to dust off the pattern writing part of my brain.
I've been writing simple hat, mitten, and fingerless glove patterns whenever I can sneak a few moments and rally the brainpower to engage in the designing and pattern-writing process. Those two things do not line up together all the time, as evidenced by the sheer number of projects that may be destined to remain one-of-a-kinds, in every sense of those words. (The designing and knitting got done, the pattern writing, um, not so much...) The moments and the intentional designing have merged on occasion and I did actually manage to write out a few patterns. There are still better photos to be taken- what I wouldn't do for a nice fat production budget... but this branching out on one's own has to be done with what one has: a decent DSLR, a bit of photography knowledge, a bit of photoshop know-how, friends who know so much more, and models. I have cute models (at least I think so), as long as I'm designing for young people. When I finish the sweater that's mostly in my brain, I may have to turn to my non-union, modeling friend- it's all about connections, I tell ya...
My 1st (free!) pattern for this season is for the Girly Mitts you see here. My girls love when cables look like braids, and I love what my girls look like in braids, so what we have here is a win-win situational knit. Quick and easy to knit up in less than 1 skein of Spud & Chloe Sweater, these mitts are washable, which comes in handy, you know, if you aren't planning on felting yours and then using them on your porcelain doll collection.

I'm planning on making another pair ASAP, with one mod- making them into full finger coverage mittens, which I know most of you knitters could do on auto-knit while reading this blog, but for those that like a bit more direction, I'll add those specifics to the pdf as soon as I can get to it...

Then, there are 2 hat patterns and a mitten pattern just about ready to put in a shop. Yep, patterns for sale, pretty excited about that around here. Husband was asking if I'd made my 1st million yet so he can quit his day job. I told him it doesn't actually work that way, but that I'd see what I could do about that... you know, as soon as I can get to it...
Yeah, so while I work out how to become rich and famous, you could pass the time knitting a few pairs of Girly Girl Mitts for some girls in your life, and then if you want to become famous (I don't think I can help you in the rich department) send me a pic of your finished mitts and I'll add them to some snazzy photo mosaics with links back (if you've got a blog!) in an upcoming post. We'll humor each other by throwing that word famous around, k?
I can't wait to see some of your Girly Mitts! Bring on the yarn!

Happy knitting-
ali

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Kristyn Knits said...

I love your girly mitts! they'd be perfect for my niece for Christmas!! thanks for sharing your designs with us.

11/25/2009 9:02 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Thanks for sharing this pattern, my daughter just asked today for a pair of fingerless gloves! :o)

11/25/2009 10:41 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Thank you so much for these, Ali! They are fantastic!!

11/27/2009 7:41 AM  
Blogger Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Love your model for the girly mitts. (you do have cute models!)

I also love the girly mitts - since I have no girls (not even any nearby girl relatives), I might try and work out a pair of these for myself.

11/28/2009 8:59 AM  
Blogger Knittymama said...

Those are sweet. I'm so in love with that yarn, I really need to pick some up.

11/28/2009 11:07 AM  
Blogger stitching under oaks said...

Thanks ali! I've got two girls who would love them! You're great to share. Thanks again!

11/28/2009 8:37 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Love these gloves. Can't wait to see your new patterns.

Ruth

11/30/2009 7:11 PM  
Blogger At Home Mommy Knits said...

Love the girly mitts!! My five year old just asked for a pair of fingerless mitts yesterday and now I have the perfect pattern. Love it!!

12/01/2009 11:51 AM  
Anonymous Caroloyn said...

So cute. I love the color too!

12/03/2009 1:50 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I just finished your wonderful pattern at 2am!! My 10 y/o HAD to wear them to school today. Thanks for such a great pattern It was my first attempt at cables and your well written pattern made iy so easy!!

12/04/2009 8:10 AM  
Blogger From All Stitched Up said...

I love the mitts and I know how hard it is to write a pattern. I worked in my local yarn shop for 8 years trying to help people understand patterns. I think you've got a great profession. Best wishes on the first million. I'm off to find some spud & chloe. Do you think the mitts will fit an adult?

12/04/2009 5:36 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh, ali!
i LOVE your girly mitts... and your humor for that matter. :)

can't wait to make a pair!
xx

12/08/2009 8:34 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Wanted to stop by and let you know I am hosting a giveaway on my blog. I hope you can stop by and enter.

Ruth

12/08/2009 12:13 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Love them!... and that green is my absolute favorite Spud and Chloe color.
I can so relate to this post—you paint the scene so well. Where would we be without fits and starts—two steps forward and one step back—dancing the days away.
Thanks for sharing this great pattern and your sweet spirit—love it.

12/09/2009 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails