Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Just a Couple Little Things

As there has been no major project completion since the Cropped Cardigan I whipped out for the TDFKAL 2008 (Tour de France knit-along), I'll take a moment to point you to a recent easy-squeasy freebie Simple Baby Hat pattern I did for Blue Sky Alpacas using their new Skinny Dyed. This new cotton is absulutely perfect for baby items, and knits up quite well for adult sweaters too. My Skinny stash is growing quickly...



It's a super simple, rolled brim baby hat, worked in the round. It would make a great 'first in the round project', in fact, now that I mention it, I think I may have my kids make a couple for their new baby brother... hmmm... The care instructions for this yarn say "Hand wash or dry clean. Wash in tepid water using a mild soap. Do not twist. Shape and dry flat on a towel. Store your little treasure neatly folded, after all, it may be a family heirloom." but it has been known to be machine washed and dried (see description at Jimmy Bean's Wool...) I plan on machine washing mine.

I've been playing with the Skinny Dyed a lot the last couple months, in addition to knitting that raglan I wish was for me... and have a couple big swatches that I'll run through the washer and dryer soon. I'll let you know how they turn out.

In other news-

Projects Progress Report:

  • I'm about 30 rows into my Loppem
  • I've knit 6" of a Slipped Stitch Rib Sock (1st sock)
  • Just need to add sleeves to a new dolly sweater (freebie pattern coming soon!)
  • 2nd sample dolly sweater started (pics soon!)
  • Still need to get back to the last few inches of my 2nd Cable Rib Sock, it's been languishing...

In other other news-

  • I'm still spending much of my days working out lesson plans, goals for the year, etc... for our homeschool year, which I hope to start in August to get a good bit under way before baby comes, as I know that will throw a wrench into our schedule.
  • There are many green beans in the garden, which shall be ready to be picked and eaten, or frozen in the next few days, peas too... tomatoes are setting, though not as many per plant as in the past, different varieties, I guess... they still smell good and I still walk back and rub my hands on the leaves just to smell that fresh tomato plant smell for a while...

To do tomorrow-

  • refill oriole feeders (I love seeing orioles!!)
  • refill hummingbird feeders (they're fun to see too!)
  • refill finch feeders (my kids love to see them, and even the 3 yr old can tell males from females!)
  • get strawberry patch staked out to till new rows
  • finish dolly sweaters & check over pattern
  • spend AT LEAST 15 minutes decluttering
  • wind yarn for new designs
  • get soccer sign up info for teenager
  • get in the pool and have fun with kiddos!

Happy knitting-

ali

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All you knitting projects look wonderful and I am insanely jealous of anyone who home-schools, I'd love to have done it, but as it happens, I'm not in the ideal place for it.

7/24/2008 7:30 AM  
Blogger psalm127 said...

Very cute. I have put the pattern in my knitting file to due one of these days. I need to do what you have done. I have so many things I want to finish. I woke this morning and said I will set a timer for 15 minutes at a time to cut out fabric to see what I can get done. I do my knitting at the kitchen table or family room couch while watching/helping the kids with school work. If I run up stairs or just into an other room, the school work stops.lol

7/24/2008 8:53 AM  
Blogger raining sheep said...

Any yarn from Blue Skye is absolutely to die for as far as I am concerned. I am knitting with the Baby Alpaca Sport Weight and love the feel and weight of it. My girlfriend is having a baby so I am going to check out that pattern. Believe it or not, I have tomatoes on my tomato plants...I had to buy a small greenhouse to achieve this (it's too cold here) but I am so excited.

7/25/2008 9:18 AM  
Blogger Knittymama said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one with such a massive to-do list!

7/25/2008 9:58 AM  
Blogger Traci said...

love the baby hat and i can't wait to see some pics of your Loppem!
:D

7/25/2008 11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute, little hat! I love the Blue Sky yarns.

7/26/2008 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails