Monday, June 16, 2008

Never A Dull Moment...

As if restarting the inhaler regimen for the asthmatic 3 & 5 yr olds wasn't enough this week (stinking pollen counts, stinking allergies, stinking asthma...), this morning we added a bloodied, then swollen, then bruised bridge of the nose on a 19 month old to the mix of medical marvels around here. It's kind of hard to knit with a wounded baby in need of much cuddling sympathy on my lap... I put down the needles and spent some quality time making sure my wee one could follow the stuffed puppy with her eyes, making sure her pupils looked normal, etc... to rule out any mild concussion...
There was a new bike, there was a new biker, there was a baby's face making fast and hard contact with some handlebars, there was screaming (baby's), there was tension (mine), and then there was deep breathing (and sighs of relief) and relaxing cuddling- the kind that takes precedence over knitting any day.

Not a lot got done today, but I did manage to get a sleeve on that new Kid's Pullover shortly before the handlebar/nose incident. I am really loving the Skinny Dyed Cotton. Every time I knit with it I think of several more things that would be really great in this yarn...

So one more arm on that sweater, a wee bit more of a 2nd sock (need to get off the needles to make way for starting more socks this weekend for Summer of Socks 2008!), and another couple rows on a dolly dress will round out my knitting for the next couple of days. Also on tomorrow's agenda will be the quilt blocks for our $5 quilt/block of the month club quilts. 2 of my girls (5 & 7) are making matching quilts for their new room (once the boys move downstairs) and even my 8 yr old son is going to make a quilt for himself! Fun stuff, I tell ya. I've got some fabric to cut out some fun bibs, but I think that just might get pushed back in the week... we'll see, I guess it may depend on how healthy and unharmed my children can stay for the next few days.
More knitting content soon, but for today, I'll leave you with a few pics of a recent Saturday's spur of the moment mammoth landscaping project, in which we ripped out all of the old overgrown stuff that gave our cozy home a rather unpleasant Adam's Family home kind of look...
How do you keep several small children out of the way of Dad and Grandpa driving big, orange, vintage tractors around the yard?
Easy- let them spend time trimming the bushes (before you rip them out. Pointless? It's all in how you look at it... it kept a couple youngers occupied and stationary for several minutes at a time- it's called strategy, or as my husband like to say, strategerie...)
and finding and playing with little green things, that's always fun, unless you're squeamish, which my younger ones are not...
collecting some new leaves from different trees in our yard...
or you can always send them to play with the baby goose that wandered out of a clump of woods in the side yard, apparently imprinting on my 8 yr old son, following him out of the trees, baby goose honking all the way to the house...
they affectionately named him "Wally", enjoyed his company for about 24 hours, then released him (hoping and praying that he can hook up with a goose family, but if not, at least he won't die here, in front of the kids) at a nearby county park with a convenient walking trail and lake... he had seriously imprinted, kept swimming back to the kids and following them away from the water's edge... now that doesn't happen every day.
And what does mom do to stay out of the way, and make herself useful? Transplant hostas, of course...

Off to check for wheezing one last time before I attempt to sleep tonight. I hear some not-so-good-sounding coughing coming from upstairs... Asthma flare-ups can get tiring, literally.

Hoping tomorrow is rather uneventful,

happy knitting-

ali

6 Comments:

Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

The greenery is so pretty. And The Addams family comment just cracked me up!

6/17/2008 6:48 AM  
Blogger km said...

You might just have a new little goose. =0)

The asthma thing really bites. My oldest and youngest have coughs that can turn to croup at the blink of an eye. I feel like during certain seasons I sleep with one eye open.

6/17/2008 10:19 AM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Asthma is in my family so I know how tiresome it can be. And I've been coughing for 3 months now nyself. In fact, I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. All I want to do is be home and knit ... hope the pollen lets up soon. BTW, sorry about the poor baby with the bumped up nose. Poor thing. And what a good idea to have the helpers do needless trimming in order to keep an eye on 'em. Clever in fact!

6/17/2008 11:31 AM  
Blogger Dove Knits said...

I am so sorry about the sick kids! I hope y'all are safe and healthy soon!

6/17/2008 6:15 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

Great photos! wow do you ever have your hands full lately!!

6/17/2008 10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh! Wally is so adorable! I hope things calm down for you soon and everyone is feeling better.

6/18/2008 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails