Saturday, May 31, 2008

Spinning Girls

Well, I outta be ashamed of myself for leaving these pics out of the last post. I could call it strategy, breaking up a blogworthy event, stretching it into multiple posts. Honestly, I momentarily forgot about this part of the day... the last post was already long and picture heavy, and with the recent laptop flakiness, it took 3 or 4 times as long as it should have to get done...

Anyhoo, I figured it was only right to post these before moving on to more recent knits and another festival...


We were walking by this lovely lady in one of the buildings (we were trying to escape the far too bitter cold for May winds that day) and paused to watch her spin, when my girls spoke up, telling her that they knew how to do that. They each got to try it a couple times a few months back at a 4H event... but they spoke as if they'd been doing it for years, no self-esteem issues here. Then, my shy, introverted, nonsocialized kids (why do people even think that about homeschoolers, anyway? I think my kids actually socialize more than the average public or private schooler, but that's a topic for another blog...) came right out and asked if they could have a turn.


The lovely lady, whose name I neglected to get, was so sweet and eager to share the love of spinning- she stopped her work, got up out of her seat, and let my girls give it a whirl. She patiently explained how to hold it and how to draft. She helped to make sure the wheel kept going in the right direction, as my girls and their little feet had a bit of a time with that.


They beamed with pride as their fiber turned to yarn, and only gloated a little bit about the fact that they've, yet again, got to do something that I haven't yet tried. (Linda, owner extraordinaire of Blue Sky Alpacas, said I could borrow her wheel to learn on!!! Yipee! Woohoo!! It totally rocks to have great connections! I have some roving just waiting for me to get going with yet another addicting hobby/pastime, good thing the cleaning crew, um, I mean kids are getting so good at their chores, that really frees up some time...)

Busy day tomorrow, but more soon- there was another festival today... and no one was even sick!

Happy knitting,
ali

2 Comments:

Blogger jessica mathew said...

hi ali!
the festival looks like it was a blast! i am your BTRS swap partner and just wondered if you received your bag yet? please drop me a line so i know you got it!
thanks!
~jessica

6/01/2008 9:01 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

yay for spinning! i really gotta gets me a spindle...that poor bag of neglected roving i have is just waiting for some spinny-lovin'!

we need a spinning-get-together day!
:)

6/02/2008 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails