Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Windy Knitting

Last night was wonderful- a brisk cool breeze swept though this part of Minnesota and brought with it a break from that ghastly hot and humid weather- the kind when they issue air pollution advisaries for people with respiratory illnesses (like asthma...) That muggy haze blew right outta here- for a couple days anyway. I'll take it where I can get it...


See the little pine trees bend?! It was windy, I tell ya!
Well, after supper my husband and all the kids headed out back to play some catch (the kids got dad a baseball glove for Father's Day) and I headed out to snap a few pictures of the fun times. It was so refreshing! But cool, and I, being a cold wimp, or maybe just glad for an off-season chance to don a comfy sweater, grabbed a hat and some stripey cotton knit warmth, bundled the baby, grabbed a knitting project and headed out back.


Breeze or no breeze, I was gonna get another couple rows done...


One of my sweeties brought a wee kitty to share in the joy of many balls of yarn...

And then momma cat decided to get in on the action... I had to put a stop to it before some damage was done. Cat teeth can tear through that soft 2-ply cotton like nobody's business- ask me how I know... on second thought, don't ask!

It was one of those nights when we stayed outside later than we usually even let the kids stay up- it was just that nice out (and the breeze kept away the Minnesota state birds- the mosquitos!) I just had to squeeze in another row before heading in and shooing everyone off to bed, so I could settle down on the couch and do "just one more row..."


Gratuitous baby shot- because how could I not?!


In other knitting news, my 'sock class sock' is done to the heel and patiently waiting for Thursday to come... I, however, am not so patient, and couldn't not work on a sock all week, so I switched needles- I slipped my new addis out and slid my old dpns in... and am now using my addis to get a few more rows of my Anniversary Sock (which is just the name of the sock- it will not be done in time for any anniversary that I can think of... but now that I've started thinking... I may be able to come up with something... hmmm...) and as I suspected, that pesky LC2 is so much easier with these lace needles, yay! I need, no, really, really, want another couple sets!


I might even be able to make some real progress on this one before Thursday rolls around. But then again, I might not- I have so many projects vying for my attention. I did finish the second front to my Eyelet Cardigan and am procrastinating instead of casting on the sleeves... I've been distracted with so many new things! Not the least of which has been playing with the drop spindle I bought a couple years ago but never learned how to use until a couple weeks ago after I bought some roving at the little sheep shearing festival I went to... more on that at a later date...

Happy knitting-

ali

6 Comments:

Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Hi Ali! I love hanging out in the back yard with the kiddos in the summertime, so much fun! I like the hoodie that your baby has on, such cute stripes...

6/19/2007 6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any time you can hang out in the yard is a good time in my book. :) Yesterday we had our first real t-shirt-wearing, warm day. Of course, today is back to the usual rainy, cool weather. It's good to seize those moments when you get them, eh?

6/20/2007 12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing better than being outside in the summer time.

You know, if I didn't know better, by your photo I would say I know you from somewhere. Maybe you just have one of those familiar faces. But...if you've been to NH, MA or IL maybe I do? :)

I just wanted to post a quick comment to say hello and introduce myself as April, your blog reader, for the Summer of Socks 2007. And make sure you know that I found your blog and have subscribed to it.

Oh and by the way, fantastic blog title. It makes me giggle.

6/20/2007 11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had wonderful night hanging out in the back yard.

The baby is adorable!

6/20/2007 5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful evening. Your baby is just adorable! I love her little hoodie.

6/21/2007 8:51 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

check out that wind! that striped hoodie is really coming along...very cute. i tried to knit while camping and it's just not the same. the bugs (and spray), the fire (and smoke), and dirt and stuff made me feel like i had to do more work protecting the yarn than knitting it! i'll have to try your backyard technique...it looks 'safer', lol!
:)

7/02/2007 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails