Thursday, June 21, 2007

It was a Tough Choice

Week 2 of my Socks on Circular Needles class, or free outdoor concert featuring my favorite local bluegrass band, Monroe Crossing, at one of my favorite places, the Oliver H. Kelley Farm. I hate choosing between two things that I really want to do- why do they have to overlap? Why couldn't they schedule the concert tomorrow night? Didn't they know I would be busy?!!

Well, I thought I had come up with a solution. I would go to my sock class, and leave early... it would probably take me 30 minutes to get to the farm... but then there was potential weather on the way- I hate potential weather... especially when considering outdoor events... so off I went to my sock class, figuring I'd wing it, like I usually do.

I was hoping my heel would go faster. But my baby kept squirming and I had to keep picking her up, which meant setting my knitting down. And before I knew it, 7:00 had rolled around- there just really wasn't a convenient stopping place before then... I knew with packing up the baby and the knitting I wouldn't get out of there until at least 10 after, and then the drive, I'd be about 45 minutes late to the concert, which mean missing almost half of the show- and with my luck, I'd probably miss all of my favorite songs... so I headed home, sulking just a little bit.


The bright side? Not going to a concert would mean that I wouldn't have to stay up nearly as long to cast on another sock. Another sock? Yep, another sock. Here's where it gets kinda funny, to me anyway. A little while back, I caught the sock bug. There have been so many sock events going on and I just haven't gotten on board- but I've been watching. As the fever began to rage (sock fever, that is- the one that doesn't fade with tylenol...) I began to feel like joining in... and whenever I would come across another sockalong type of event, it was closed, as in no new players, try again next year. Oh well, move along, get over it, it's not like I don't have anything else to knit... and it's not like I can't knit socks by myself...


Anyway- yesterday I received a comment on my last post- a comment from my assigned blog reader- for the Summer of Socks 2007... I thought that was odd- because I couldn't remember signing up for the Summer of Socks 2007! And to make it a little bit funnier (again, funnier to me at least) just the evening before I had come across the Summer of Socks 2007 site and thought it sounded like a great event- and, of course, sign-ups were closed. I was bummed. I had a vague recollection of reading about it before... and thought too bad I didn't sign up right away. So, when I got that comment yesterday, intrigued, I headed over to the site, and there I was, on the long list on the sidebar. Huh. Odd. I honestly don't remember signing up (sleep blogging maybe?) but I'm glad I did.


I thought , yay, I'm taking this sock class, and I have that Anniversary Sock started... and then I reread the rules, the event runs from June 21st through September 21st... and I can't even be underhanded and sneaky- I've already blogged about those socks- so they don't count in my summer total. Well, for this event anyway, I mean, let's not get carried away- those socks will count for something, even if it's only the satisfaction of a job well done...


Sooooo, to make a long story even longer- I bought some new yarn to start a new pair of socks- my first official pair for the Summer of Socks 2007! Yay! I'm off to cast on...


I'll leave you with this proof of my heel turning (at sock class)-


Happy knitting-

ali


ps- That favorite bluegrass and gospel band? Turns out they'll be playing at the very park at the very lake that my family was already planning to be at on the 4th of July!!! I came home and checked out their schedule, and, yippee! I'm so pumped- really, grinning from ear to ear right now!

7 Comments:

Blogger Montreal Mama said...

I got the prize in the mail today - Thank you so very much. I can't wait to clear up some needles so I can cast on the Fitted Tank! (And lose a few more lbs of the baby weight! Almost there!)

Thanks again! As soon as I cast on, I'll let you know.

6/21/2007 11:11 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

What a great post Ali! I would imagine that with 6 kids there is a lot that you do without being fully present whilst doing it!;)

I am so behind as I haven't cast on any socks yet. I did finish a Monkey yesterday but am now experiencing anxiety about whether to cast on another one or rather start an entirely new pair! I know, I need to get a life.

What lake will you be going to for July 4th? I ask because I'll be in Minnesota at that time, and a meet-up would be fun if it were to work out!

6/22/2007 6:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So I see you've got the sock bug too. Well, you do know there's no cure, right? ;-) Happy knitting!

6/25/2007 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like you are having so much fun knitting up your socks.

And I am glad you were able to hear your bluegrass band after all.

6/25/2007 3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh I figured it out.Thank you Ali, I guess if I would read your blog throughly I would find my answers.You have inspired me to pick up my knitting again. I am attempting for the first time a sweater. I have the back done and I am working on the front. With six kids of my own and homeschooling the 4 older ones the things I want to do get put to the back burner at times.I ordered the sock soar book,circular needles and the same yarn you showed on your blog. I love it. now I am just waiting for it to get here. I have made about 8 pairs of socks in the last two years on double pointed needles so I am looking forward to seeing how to do this on circulars. I also figured out where to purchase the fitted tank pattern along with some hanks of blue sky. I am also waiting for these to come in. So I really need to finish the sweater so I can jump in on the other things when they get here. Trouble is, that it is hard to work on a sweater in 102 degree heat.Oh well I will see if I can figure out how to post them on my web site when I am done. Thanks again for your inspiration. Laura

6/25/2007 10:15 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

I love what the Yarn Harlot has to say about sock knitting in "At Knits End"

-It's Portible
-It's small
-Turning the heel makes you feel like a genious!

Great work. Sock knitting (and gorgeous sock yarn) are highly addicting.

Speaking of-- Have you checked out Wollmeise? I've been thinking about ordering from them since last Februrary, and I keep hearing FABULOUS reviews. The order is finally going in this week.

6/27/2007 10:29 AM  
Blogger Traci said...

i just checked out your link to Monroe Crossing and that WOULD be a hard choice and i love the Kelley Farm too! i'm not a huge bluegrass fan, but i did like their stuff.
at least you'll get to see them on the 4th! too bad we won't be getting together, but we'll save the sparklers for when you get back!
oh, and don't forget to take pics while your there so we can see all the fun!
:)

7/02/2007 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails