Tuesday, January 02, 2007

How I Support My Habit

I'll try to pick up where I left off...

Soon after my first taste of real yarn (real fibers!) I knew there was no going back. But the harsh reality is that real yarns cost real money- something a homeschooling mother of 6 never seems to have any extra of.
A solution to my problem presented itself through my sister, who had gotten a job at this yarn company I admit I hadn't heard of. While chatting with my sister-in-law (the one who got me wanting to learn to knit in the first place) and mentioning that my sister now works for a yarn company... which one? Some cute little (I had no idea how big they actually were!) Minnesota-based company called Blue Sky Alpacas... she gasped, then ooohed, then reminisced about how she first fell in live with their yarns in this great yarn shop in New York... Manhatten, I think... I'm assuming she means Purl Soho.
Well, my sister mentioned that her boss had said she couldn't wait for her to learn to knit well so she could start designing for them. What?!?! Regular people can just design for yarn companies?!?! Who knew? And well, I had an idea for a knitted version of a little kimono jacket pattern (for sewing) that I thought was pretty cute. I drew up a sketch, pitched the idea, and Linda (owner of Blue Sky Alpacas) gave me some yarn to get knitting! Before I got very far on that project she had another idea to pitch to me- the Fitted Tank.

Thus began my knitting design 'career'. Between selling designs and knitting samples for trunk shows I've been able to make a little money. And I'm hoping to expand on that more in this new year...

Readers here will, I'm sure, be able to detect a bit of a bias towards Blue Sky Alpacas, it can't be helped! They're very, very, good to me! But really, I do love their yarns! Their cottons are simply my favorite. The worsted is a seriously close second- it feels so good! And the 100% alpaca of the sport weight is so soft... and the royal, oh the royal- it's luxurious!
I know there are some other good yarns out there. Unfortunately, I live in a rural area many miles from the nearest yarn shop. So... I don't get out to try very many others... I will be making an effort to broaden my horizons a wee bit this year, but for now I've got at least a half-dozen projects on the needles, and all in various Blue Sky yarns- I can honestly say that I haven't knit with a yarn from Blue Sky yet that I haven't liked.
I'll have pictures of projects soon!

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Hi Ali! Love the new blog and will check back often to see what your up to.

Blessings,
Theresa

1/03/2007 11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun! I love to see the pictures of your stuff and your designs. I'll point you to another MN friend's blog, crochetcompulsive.blogspot.com
She has lots of good yarn links on the side, though she is just this weekend learning to knit. Lots of cute crochet pics on her blog though!
She has gotten me hooked on the Cast On podcast, and one of these days I'll get her to teach me some crochet.

1/05/2007 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found you through Aligirl and am learning to knit. I like your site, I will be back! Perhaps with questions...I have yet to start a project, just am trying to learn the method right now.

1/12/2007 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails