Thursday, December 28, 2006

Skeins Her Way- How It All Started

Hello, my name is Ali, and I need to knit.

It all started a couple of years ago after watching my sister-in-law sit and knit a baby sweater over conversation and coffee. It looked so easy and fun, and it appeared to be a great way to be doing two things at once, well, at least when there's conversation and coffee to be had. I'm big on doing two things at once, more if you can manage, but let's not get sloppy.

Well, never really having the time to visit and get a real lesson, and my curiosity (and impatience) getting the best of me, I headed to town- to the old BenFranklin, to buy my first needles, some cheap yarn, and a little booklet creatively entitled "Learn to Knit". I was set. It's not rocket science (if it was, I could always ask my cousin Eric for help...) A few diagrams and clearly written instructions and I was soon knitting and purling my way through swatches of stockinette stitch, some 1x1 and some 2x2 ribbing, and even a bit of seed stitch. I was hooked. That sounds too crochet... I was cast on? Whatever, I was obesessed, that pretty much describes it.

Thus began my habit, ehem, hobby... and my desire for more needles, more yarn, and more books. I had soon started more baby sweaters than I could ever hope to finish. You see, I have this issue with project completion- I don't know why... I just always seem to need to start the next project right away, usually to never pick up the old one. Bad, I know. I did finish a few baby things...

And then I discovered REAL yarn- natural fibers, and that really got me excited. It also got me wondering how I was going to support my habit, which was now going to cost me even more of something I never have much of- cash. I have found a way, but that's another story for another post.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sylvia said...

How can you keep your readers in such suspense!?!? Tell me how you're supporting your habit! Tell me, tell me, tell me! I can't sleep at night anymore! I'm burning with curiosity!

12/18/2006 2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are the coolest knitter i know!
:)

12/30/2006 10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just caught your blog on homeschoolblogger.com. The knitting piqued my interest. I am an avid knitter and crocheter. I made most of my Christmas presents this year. I am now finishing an afgan that I started maybe four years ago. I am also on the third pattern for this particular one. The first one I made a big mistake on a difficult pattern. The second one was just plain ugly.

12/30/2006 11:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Ali!! I am totally hooked on knitting too. I had to follow you over here and see your new knitting blog. I have a friend in Indiana who is also very hooked on knitting. We are making the same patterned scarf, and then we are going to send them to each other when we are finished. Will you do any more knit alongs? I'd love to do some with you!

God Bless!
Ali

12/31/2006 11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ali,
Can I ask you a knitting question?
I'm knitting a felted hat, and using circular needles for the first time. And I'm a little confused by the instructions. They say to:
Cast on 48 stitches.
Join, being careful not to twist stitches.
Place marker for the beginning of round.
Knit 10 rounds. (etc)

But I'm stuck at the join part. What does it mean, "join"?

Can you help?
~Stacy

1/13/2007 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails